1997-08-28 - Re: Socio-Economic Cults (Re: Cypherpunk Cults)

Header Data

From: “William H. Geiger III” <whgiii@amaranth.com>
To: Sean Roach <roach_s@alph.swosu.edu>
Message Hash: fd162dc5382b09c7118ec1d8dbbf7b3074d06db55c8b50b4990beb42f45a454b
Message ID: <199708280445.XAA08389@mailhub.amaranth.com>
Reply To: <199708280337.XAA03584@www.video-collage.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-08-28 04:44:17 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 12:44:17 +0800

Raw message

From: "William H. Geiger III" <whgiii@amaranth.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 12:44:17 +0800
To: Sean Roach <roach_s@alph.swosu.edu>
Subject: Re: Socio-Economic Cults (Re: Cypherpunk Cults)

In <199708280337.XAA03584@www.video-collage.com>, on 08/27/97
   at 11:37 PM, Sean Roach <roach_s@alph.swosu.edu> said:

>At 06:10 PM 8/27/97 PDT, John Smith wrote:
>>
>>William H. Geiger III:
>>
>>>In the Salem witch trial they were government trials (which were >based
>>on
>>>a political power struggle in Salem at the time) not lynch mobs.
>>
>>And how about our gun-crazy friend, who'd shoot anybody who messed
>>with him, his family, or his property.  What do you think he's going
>>to do when that witch down the street puts a hex on his cow and it
>>dies?  Sounds to me like we've got another shooting coming.  Is that
>>the kind of world you want to live in?
>>
>>"John

>I like the little comment made in the first of MIB.  And I paraphrase.
>Individuals are intelligent, people are stupid.

>That is the defining element of mass hysteria.  The invidiual, if left
>alone would probably settle down, maybe even realize that he or she was
>wrong. The group with its anonymity in numbers, snowballs the emotions
>beyond the control of one person.  I unfortunately chose bad examples.
>Better ones would be the LA Riots and the famous broadcast of War of the
>Worlds.

While at first glance the LA riots may be an example in your favor but
under closer inspection one can see that it is not.

To show my point take a look at the stores that were looted and burned.
While the unarmed store owners sat and watched their lifes work go up in
smoke the ones who were armed and kept watch from their rooftops were able
to save themselfs and their property.

And where were are beloved Police? Hiding elseware eating thier donuts
becuse they were too *chicken shit* to do thier job. It only goes to show
that when the chips are really down you can not count on the government to
save you.

I don't know what happend in other towns durring the riots but where I was
at we orginised a large group of arms citizens and made it well know that
such actions would not be tolarated.

And before anyone ask yes I think that every rat bastard involved in the
riots should have been shot on sight.

- --
William H. Geiger III  http://www.amaranth.com/~whgiii

OS/2 PGP 2.6.3a at: http://www.amaranth.com/~whgiii/pgpmr2.html