1997-09-03 - Re: Fate of Jews in America (fwd)

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 1a4117cb80ae2f475518509aa302037566023b38496b8528c0c55ab4af2fdeb9
Message ID: <v03102805b0336f0926b0@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <v03102801b032ba10a225@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-09-03 19:59:58 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 03:59:58 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 03:59:58 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Fate of Jews in America (fwd)

At 8:54 AM -0700 9/3/97, amp@pobox.com wrote:

>> Besides, in a society with strong crypto, how are you or any government
>> going to stop people from dealing with whomever they wish, on whatever
>> basis they wish?
>
>and in a society with ubiquitous internet access there will be no way to
>=know= what color someone is unless he advertises it in his sig file.

"On the Internet no one knows you're a nigger."

(Lest anyone be offended, I'm using the vernacular used by colored people.
And I'm paraphrasing the famous cartoon. And I'm using strong language to
make the point as some might themselves make it.)

And this point isn't even strictly true, even for dogs. No doubt dogs on
the Internet would advertise their pedigrees, as people do. And even race
can and is advertised. Also, it is quite possible to imagine the form
"racial credentialling" by private entities could take: visual inspections,
with digital signatures given. DNA tests, etc. Those who want to hang out
with other brothers, or other Aryans, or other Jews, could do so by asking
for such credentials, which of course could be formally isolated from one's
True Name.

--Tim May