1997-09-10 - Re: Government shows its hand…good news!

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Message Hash: 7492eaea48ad6fb8e8697f498f22e8747ed34adae533552afa5142ed9eb850c3
Message ID: <v03102805b03bc30dbcb6@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <Pine.GSO.3.95.970909194656.9741B-100000@well.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-09-10 03:51:27 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 11:51:27 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 11:51:27 +0800
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject: Re: Government shows its hand...good news!

At 8:12 PM -0700 9/9/97, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>Let me clarify my earlier comments. The language sez Defense & Commerce
>together can veto crypto exports, and:
>
>"Decisions made by the Secretary of Commerce with the concurrence of the
>Secretary of Defense with respect to exports of encryption products under
>this section shall not be subject to judicial review."

Then this is _not_ the sense in which you seemed to be implying that the
Supreme Court would be precluded from declaring the law unconstitutional.

--Tim May