1997-09-10 - medical records next. does it ever end?

Header Data

From: “Attila T. Hun” <attila@hun.org>
To: cypherpunks <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net>
Message Hash: 757de9c4f711520c8c6b66af8db02d860bac389ac7fc2154f61314d459c64bf3
Message ID: <199709101603.KAA23312@infowest.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 00:17:39 +0800

Raw message

From: "Attila T. Hun" <attila@hun.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 00:17:39 +0800
To: cypherpunks <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net>
Subject: medical records next. does it ever end?

ref: http://www.nytimes.com/yr/mo/day/news/washpol/medical-files.html

    and, of course, we all know that our friendLY, loyal, trustworthy,
    and obedient police departments can keep a secret and protect the
    innocent.

    NYT lead article today indicates Clinton bowing to LEOs to:

        ...gain broad access to patients' medical records, with hardly
        any restrictions on use or redisclosure of the data.

        "We recommend that providers and payers be permitted to rely on
        the statement of law-enforcement officials that an inquiry meets
        these standards," the administration says....

    and we all know the police never lie when theY're fishing!

        The administration proposal would not require law-enforcement
        agencies to get court orders or to notify patients when they
        seek medical records. Patients would not be assured of an
        opportunity to challenge the disclosure of their files, though
        the records could later be used against them in investigations
        or prosecutions.

    fourth amendment mean _anything_ to these petty dictators? has the
    US become just another bananna republic at the interest of the
    power brokers?  are we stretching the idea of a republic a bit
    thin?

        "Our recommendations accommodate the interests of law
        enforcement rather well," said an administration official who
        helped draft the proposal. "The Justice Department got almost
        everything it wanted."

    THIS is what is wrong with the US! the courts have become
    adversarial playgrounds for the prosecutors for the benefit of the
    "state"  the old rule used to be if you were _charged_ by the Feds,
    start plea bargaining --if you go to court, the sentence will
    triple. just "fuck" the concept of innocent until proven guilty, or
    'hey, man, you were arrested, weren't you?'

        Andrew Fois, an assistant attorney general, said, "There has
        been no documented history suggesting that law-enforcement
        agencies have abused their current access to medical records, or
        that existing federal and state law is inadequate to guard
        against such a danger."

    LIAR!  I'll bet this man would lie to his own mother if it meant
    his courtroom body count ratio increased. What state or federal
    law? there is no restriction to LEO access currently; Congress is
    considering bills on protecting access, and the LEOs want total
    exemption from the rules.

    TIME FOR THE INTERMOUNTAIN EMPIRE TO SECEDE FROM THE
    UNCONSTITUTIONAL GOVERNMENT IN WASHINGTON.

 --
 "Experience keeps a dear school, but fools will learn in no other."
        --Benjamin Franklin

Thread