1997-09-13 - Re: Real issue of crypto controls: security or taxation loss?

Header Data

From: Gary Howland <gary@hotlava.com>
To: jf_avon@citenet.net
Message Hash: 7d2787950ababa3877988dbc6fd3aef756b440b7c68ccdd99064a8fd9ceb7e12
Message ID: <199709132322.QAA29125@toad.com>
Reply To: <199709131600.MAA22590@cti06.citenet.net>
UTC Datetime: 1997-09-13 23:33:37 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 07:33:37 +0800

Raw message

From: Gary Howland <gary@hotlava.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 07:33:37 +0800
To: jf_avon@citenet.net
Subject: Re: Real issue of crypto controls: security or taxation loss?

> Then, TM came to say that this is irrelevant.  TM was right in the
> context of the post, but it led me to ask myself this
> (vague) question:
>
> 	What is the real issue here, what makes the govt so insistent about
> 	wanting to ban crypto?  What is such a threat to them that it makes
> 	them pass laws that are profoundly against the US constitution?
>
> 	What causes their panic?

They want to read your mail.  They would like to read your mind too.

> To this, all I can find of enough magnitude to put them in such state
> is that they just recently *truly* realized that crypto will,
> infinitely more than to threaten the security of the state,
> threaten their very existence by putting them outside of the money
> loop.

I disagree.  I think they want to read your mail.  I don't believe they are
scared of "digital bearer bonds" etc., although I do believe that this is the
most hyped issue on these mailing lists ...

> Any comments about why we should *not* put most emphasis on the
> financial aspect of crypto?

Because the financial aspects are hyped way out of proportion on these
mailing lists?

Also, you will find that the govt does *not* want to ban financial crypto
- it only wants to ban encryption - so how can you argue that they are
panicking because of the financial aspect of crypto?  You can't.  They panic
because they can't read your mail.

Gary
--
pub  1024/C001D00D 1996/01/22  Gary Howland <gary@hotlava.com>
Key fingerprint =  0C FB 60 61 4D 3B 24 7D  1C 89 1D BE 1F EE 09 06

Thread