1997-09-04 - Re: Big Brother is watching

Header Data

From: stonedog@ns1.net-gate.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7f50b747f0ab64d4feb638ca22d198c163afd95bccb5a60cbf20e74f7dcb6b4c
Message ID: <Pine.BSI.3.93.970904093937.26315A-100000@ns1.net-gate.com>
Reply To: <Pine.LNX.3.95.970903155835.15333E-100000@sulaco.proxicom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-09-04 14:06:27 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 22:06:27 +0800

Raw message

From: stonedog@ns1.net-gate.com
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 22:06:27 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Big Brother is watching

Interesting. In NJ, where I have had the misfortune of living, "being able
to face your accuser" means that if the cop doesn't show you have to
reschedule and keep rescheduling until he _does_ show. For this reason, I
had assumed that the "no cop, no case" clause was simply hopeful urban
legend.

I tend to be cynical, here in NJ, where I have to pass through a police
roadblock every day on my way to work, and a different one every evening.
Literally. Every day. In less than a mile of State Route 73, if that ever
helps anyone.

If nothing else, we live in a "traffic police state".

-stonedog

On Wed, 3 Sep 1997, Nate Sammons wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Sep 1997, Chip Mefford wrote:
> > Nate wrote;
> >
> > Isn't there a wierd clause about being able to face your accuser??? Yeah, I
> > know, I live in a fantasy world.
> >
> > luv
> > chipper
> >

> Yes... in CO you can take them to court, and if the cop doesn't show up, you
> get off free.  I dunno about VA (just moved here 2 months ago).
>
> In CO, you're supposed to be able to ask the cop if you can see the radar
> gun that clocked you, and if it's been cleared or the cop won't show it to
> you, you cannot be ticketed.  By law, the cop *must* have a visual estimate
> of your speed, and a clocked speed on a gun of some kind (a friend of mine is
> a Sheriff in southern CO), but they apparently don't tell that to anyone.
>
> -nate

Thread