1997-09-18 - Re: New Computer Security Act

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: John Young <cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: afb4fb96ac0e8d6a89e80a553f683b109e84bb6085936fc9149d864f59952654
Message ID: <v03102807b04725f6f699@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <1.5.4.32.19970918020421.006952c4@pop.pipeline.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-09-18 18:49:37 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 02:49:37 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 02:49:37 +0800
To: John Young <cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Re: New Computer Security Act

(Toad.com address changed to algebra.com. Hugh Daniel confirmed to me that
about 130 subscribers are still using the toad.com address. And he
confirmed that none of them are getting the traffic sent to the "real"
Cypherpunks lists, those at algebra.com, cyberpass.net, and ssz.com. I
again urge folks to get with the program. Toad.com is going to vanish
someday, at least as any kind of distribution site for CP traffic.)

At 7:04 PM -0700 9/17/97, John Young wrote:
>The Computer Security Enhancement Act of 1997 (HR1903)
>is intended to replace the Computer Security Act of 1987.
>It redefines the role of NIST in meeting federal computer security
>and encryption requirements through cooperation of industry.
>Public use of encryption is also addressed in the bill.

By the way, today is the 50th anniversary of the National Security Act,
which created the National Security Agency and the United States Air Force,
amongst other things (some of them probably still secret).

I doubt Clinton will be at the Fort Meade HQ for a ceremony, as he's on his
way to Stanford, where both of us will, amazingly enough, be tomorrow. Wish
me luck!

--Tim May