1997-09-02 - Re: You really do want to volunteer, don’t you?

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: c9c2e22089ae7920af1883dcba5659d7f848b0850281e81e2cd8c46a9170b86b
Message ID: <v0310280bb031723c53ed@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <Pine.SOL.3.96.970901233826.9189A-100000@rigel.cyberpass.ne t>
UTC Datetime: 1997-09-02 07:49:29 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 15:49:29 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 15:49:29 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: You really do want to volunteer, don't you?

At 12:12 AM -0700 9/2/97, Greg Broiles wrote:
>At 11:38 PM 9/1/97 -0700, Tim May wrote:
>>This was an actual case, heard by the Supreme Court several years back. Bus
>>passengers were given the opportunity to volunteer, as noted. Failure to
>>volunteer was construed as probable cause that contraband was present.
>>
>>(No, I don't know the name of the case. My recollection is that it took
>>place in Florida or one of the Carolinas. Nor do I recollect how the
>>Supremes decided the case...
>
>This sounds like _Florida v. Bostick_, 501 U.S. 429 (1991), on the web at
><http://www.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=US&navby=case&vol=501&invol
>=429>.
>
>Bill Stewart's summary of the case looked like a good one to me.

Thanks, I guess, to all of you who sent further information on this case.

I'm chagrinned at this repetitive pattern, though: all it takes is a "I
don't remember" for a thread to be completely dominated by helpful
comments, clarifications, etc.

(Ditto for any question even remotely impinging on financial or tax advice,
which is why I almost always include requests that helpful tax advice not
be sent to me. I can't seem to mention tax issues without a bunch of
helpful souls sending me their ideas on how to beat taxes by incorporating
myself in Andorra and then hiring myself as a consultant to the Andorran
embassy in California, or whatever.)

One strategy I've considered is to never, never, ever admit that I don't
know something, as this will forestall the corrections, expansions,
clarifications, and citings.

Or to express things more elliptically. It pays to be Young.

--Tim May