1997-09-20 - Crypto-opponent senator to run for president?

Header Data

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d4bd1e12eb28af40d044767c1a73e6254bbc6e9e1dc7e88ad3b7330dcb0d3baf
Message ID: <Pine.GSO.3.95.970919175841.12883d-100000@well.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 09:07:01 +0800

Raw message

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 09:07:01 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Crypto-opponent senator to run for president?

[Sen. McCain, chair of Senate Commerce, is dancing around the idea of
running for president. Folks who are interested in privacy may remember
that he was more than slightly involved in the McCain-Kerrey bill. His
committee approved it, which derailed pro-crypto legislation in the
Senate. Not only that, he seems to be holding onto the bill (not reporting
it) to prevent any other committees from improving it. Judiciary in
particular would like to consider it. Note they wouldn't make it a
//good// bill, just not quite as bad. --Declan]

***************

	19  MCCAIN:  PRESIDENTIAL AMBITIONS?
	Washington Times' Hallow notes that "the first words" out of
Sen. John McCain's (R-AZ) mouth at a 9/19 luncheon with political
reporters "alluded to his running for higher office."  Noting
that he had "slimmed down," McCain joked: "Anyone who wants to be
emperor has to do that, and I'd much prefer that than president."
McCain "acknowledged" that "he is positioning himself
ideologically somewhere between" NC Sen. Jesse Helms and ex-MA
Gov. Bill Weld (9/19).
	McCain responded to Hallow's story during C-SPAN's
"Washington Journal": "I was asked if I was considering running
for President of the United States and I said exactly what I've
been saying for a long time now, exactly that.  I said I will
examine the option in 1998. ... I don't have a PAC, I don't have
a committee, I don't have an organization.  I don't have any of
the accouterments that go to a presidential campaign and I don't
intend to have one unless I decide to run" (9/19).
	USA Today's Lawrence profiles McCain.  Does he think about
running for president?  "Nightly," he jokes.  McCain "says the
one-word description of his candidacy is 'impractical.'  He reels
off complications," from his Senate race, late start and
opposition to ethanol subsidies to his support for MFN for China;
"from the risque past he knows would arise in a national campaign
to his sense that Americans do not long for 'something different
than the standard politician'" (9/19).

Thread