1997-09-09 - Credit Card might-as-well-equal SSN

Header Data

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ef8a979a92b72a53d50af8b6e6d51448692a7441df328b1eae7d4cc0ec0e93f7
Message ID: <v03110733b03b5992b87f@[139.167.130.247]>
Raw Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 04:50:17 +0800

Raw message

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 04:50:17 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Credit Card might-as-well-equal SSN

--- begin forwarded text

To: 0xdeadbeef@substance.abuse.blackdown.org
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 15:17:52 -0400
From: glen mccready <glen@qnx.com>

Forwarded-by: Nev Dull <nev@bostic.com>
Forwarded-by: Jon Loeliger <jdl@jdl.com>

PRIVACY Forum Digest      Monday, 8 September 1997      Volume 06 : Issue 12

            Moderated by Lauren Weinstein (lauren@vortex.com)
              Vortex Technology, Woodland Hills, CA, U.S.A.

                       ===== PRIVACY FORUM =====

                 The PRIVACY Forum is supported in part by
                    the ACM (Association for Computing)
                 Committee on Computers and Public Policy,
          "internetMCI" (a service of the Data Services Division
      of MCI Telecommunications Corporation), and Cisco Systems, Inc.
                                 - - -

Date:    Wed, 13 Aug 1997 21:38:55 -0500
From:    MSproul <msproul@arnet.arn.net>
Subject: U-Haul/Credit Cards/Social Security Numbers

Today I went to the local U-Haul to rent a small trailer to move a lawn
tractor. In the course of filling out the rental agreement I was asked for
my drivers license then asked for my social security number which I refused
to give. (Texas does not have SSN on the driver's license) The agent then
asked for a credit card, which I was planning to use to charge the rental.
During the subsequent discussion the agent told me that since the Oklahoma
bombing if they don't get a SSN they are required to to get a credit card
number as a second form of identification. They can then get the SSN from
the credit card issuer.

Questions: Is this for real?  How wide spread is this?  What does U-Haul do
with your SSN? How difficult is it for someone (company) to get your SSN
when you use your credit card?

M. L. Sproul
Amarillo, TX

                [ Under current law, your SSN is part of what's called
                  "credit header" data, and is (no longer) protected
                  under the FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act).

                  This means that for all intents and purposes, your
                  SSN is public information.

                                -- MODERATOR ]

--- end forwarded text

Robert Hettinga (rah@shipwright.com), Philodox
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
The e$ Home Page: http://www.shipwright.com/

Thread