1997-10-24 - Re: Technical Description of PGP 5.5

Header Data

From: Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
To: shamrock@netcom.com
Message Hash: 017cc3d77a69a3cd570da19b71d8c0b29ae782c6764fa30f882f91378bc8eef9
Message ID: <199710241425.PAA01534@server.test.net>
Reply To: <3.0.2.32.19971022210316.00727944@netcom10.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-10-24 15:36:22 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 23:36:22 +0800

Raw message

From: Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 23:36:22 +0800
To: shamrock@netcom.com
Subject: Re: Technical Description of PGP 5.5

Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com> writes:
> Anybody with half a brain, a copy of perl, and the PGP 5.0 source from
> http://www.pgpi.com/ could write a similar filter in a matter of hours.

Agreed.  But PGP Inc may be able to deploy their system better than
some lone hacker is able to deploy a perl hack.  And deployment of
pgp5.5 / 5.0 is required to provide automatic interoperability for
this.

(Yes I know you could bounce the mail, and demand a Cc: snoop@acme.com
to go with all mails to fred@acme.com, and use a lot of pgp2.x setups
to auto-encrypt to those recipients with pgp2.x crypto recipients, but
this is not as convenient).

> I am going to install PGP's SMTP filter on my box. To make it impossible to
> accidentally send unencrypted mail to certain people. :-)

Fine, a good, entirely separable functionality.

> >To make that a bit stronger, it seems like *any* model that uses
> >persistent encryption keys essentially enables CMR-like functionality
> >in a smtp filter -- it could be done using pgp 2.6.
>
> Correct. But this isn't going to stop people from complaining.

You are right, it's not.

Just because things are possible, doesn't mean you should _do_ them,
nor attempt to massively deploy them.

If the pgp5.5 functionality is designed to provide companies with a
disaster recovery procedure (forgotten passphrase, or dead employee),
there are much better ways to do it.  We're not arguing against the
user requirement, just against the methodology.

> PGP 5.5 is considerably better than PGP 5.0. The LDAP support alone
> is reason to upgrade. The UI is improved and if you don't want to
> use message recovery, just don't turn it on.

Sure, that works.  For now.

Adam
--
Now officially an EAR violation...