1997-10-31 - Re: Protocols for Insurance to Maintain Privacy

Header Data

From: Steve Schear <azur@netcom.com>
To: Tim May <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 0a675b946f68a2b84d4132559821bd2e1de8e524c8f471311dc917a41f71d7fa
Message ID: <v03102802b07ea536423a@[208.129.55.202]>
Reply To: <7433f6e11aa46cf7b903a8251c3e35b5@squirrel>
UTC Datetime: 1997-10-31 05:58:56 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 13:58:56 +0800

Raw message

From: Steve Schear <azur@netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 13:58:56 +0800
To: Tim May <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Protocols for Insurance to Maintain Privacy

>I have so far elected to self-insure, i.e., to just pay any medical bills I
>might have out of pocket. However, given this "sucker rate" and the
>increasing unwillingness of hospitals to take patients not in health care
>or insurance programs, I may have little choice but to sign up.

Why not establish an offshore insurance company (e.g., in the Caribbean so
the area code doesn't make it appear outside our boarders) which knows you
true ID, but let's you use a pre-agreed upon pseudo-ID.  They could even
have URLs on their pages to services which could help you out obtaining
realistic hardcopy.

Doctors don't much care as long as they are getting paid and all will
accept out-of-state, many even knowingly out-of-the-country, insurers.
They really don't care about the IDs as long as they match something
insurance company says they'll pay.

--Steve

Thread