1997-10-08 - Re: Internet Via Electric Lines?

Header Data

From: Cynthia Brown <cynthb@sonetis.com>
To: Cypherpunks@algebra.com
Message Hash: 12a2d6ebcf3010067b7fb019eb555435348938f2b54db771fa05cc01bf0fece2
Message ID: <Pine.BSD/.3.91.971008163153.7884B-100000@mrburns.iosphere.net>
Reply To: <199710081601.JAA15326@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-10-08 22:05:29 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 06:05:29 +0800

Raw message

From: Cynthia Brown <cynthb@sonetis.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 06:05:29 +0800
To: Cypherpunks@algebra.com
Subject: Re: Internet Via Electric Lines?

On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, Peter Trei wrote:

> It looks like we're seeing different parts of the problem. You're
> worried about the long-haul backbone. I'm trying to see ways to
> get a 10Gbps fibre into my living room.
>
> The backbone cost is a tiny fraction of the cost of getting fiber
> into every house in the country.
>
> Building a few optical fibers into a cable as it is being
> manufactured is cheap and easy, as is using fiber-equipped
> cable if you are installing new lines, or replacing old ones
> for other reasons (installation costs are usually far higher
> than the cost of the line itself). It's hooking up all the
> fibers into a meaningful network that gets expensive,
> which was my point.

Practically speaking, using the cable TV infrastructure looks much more
promising than the power grid.  Pros:

- already available in many major urban centres = less retrofit
- theoretical 30Mbps transmission rate (not fibre, but still pretty good)

Cons:

- lack of standardisation / compatibility for the modems themselves
(bleeding edge technology, surprise surprise)
- little choice for your ISP
- you may have to buy cable service along with the Internet connectivity

Cynthia
		   Cynthia H. Brown, P.Eng.
E-mail:     cynthb@iosphere.net  | PGP Key:  See Home Page
Home Page:  http://www.iosphere.net/~cynthb/
Junk mail will be ignored in the order in which it is received.

        Klein bottle for rent; enquire within.

Thread