1997-10-31 - RE: Protocols for Insurance to Maintain Privacy

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: Fisher Mark <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net>
Message Hash: 1458585c7f797df0302f6b9a8d5dabf497a419fe6a067ba7195ca7ee93b5a9d4
Message ID: <v03102801b07fc83b815f@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <2328C77FF9F2D011AE970000F84104A74933FE@indyexch_fddi.indy.tce.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-10-31 18:50:58 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 02:50:58 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 02:50:58 +0800
To: Fisher Mark <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net>
Subject: RE: Protocols for Insurance to Maintain Privacy

At 10:52 AM -0700 10/31/97, Fisher Mark wrote:
>>You can improve the situation by purchasing high deductible policies.
>>It is astonishing how quickly the rates fall when you are willing to
>>pay the first few thousand yourself.
>
>This is almost a necessity nowadays, as many employers don't start your
>health coverage until you have been employed for 6 months.  A high
>deductible makes self-insurance (at least for engineers) affordable when
>in-between corporate health insurance policies.

(Personal caveat: I haven't visited a doctor for any reason since 1970, and
that was for a required college physical. Oh, and a 10-minute "physical" in
the late 70s for a life insurance policy, which I later let lapse. Saying
this probably means I'll be hospitalized in the next few months.)

I had an engineer working for me who cheerfully used the company medical
plan for all it was worth. If his kid had a cold, off to the doctor. If his
wife felt feverish, off to the doctor. If he had an upset stomache after
lunch (understandable considering the state of company food and
burrito-vending machines in 1980), off to the doctor.  He may have paid $5
per visit. Of course, he took off a lot of time to make these various treks
to have his kids, himself, and his wife "treated" (given aspirin, told to
drink plenty of fluids, whatever). A nice racket for the hospitals.

If something is made free, people tend to use more of it. This is the
health care crisis in America, and a slightly different one in Canada.
Details vary, but the problems have the same root cause: distortions in
markets.

--Tim May