1997-10-11 - Re: do NOT escrow communications keys (Re: What’s really in PGP 5.5?)

Header Data

From: Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
To: nobody@REPLAY.COM
Message Hash: 2c3d9d51e7c990858feb9e3abe8399fe580f99e6ca6d3c711a5e7cc1de723352
Message ID: <199710110019.BAA06426@server.test.net>
Reply To: <199710102136.XAA28507@basement.replay.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-10-11 02:02:17 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 10:02:17 +0800

Raw message

From: Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 10:02:17 +0800
To: nobody@REPLAY.COM
Subject: Re: do NOT escrow communications keys (Re: What's really in PGP 5.5?)

Monty wrote:
> Adam Back wrote:
> >[emailing stuff to yourself]
>
> Sometimes you can use this trick to get around storage limitations at
> your ISP.  Often mail in the spool file doesn't get added up for the
> disk quota.  When you hit your limit, just e-mail yourself a bunch of
> megabyte messages.  Sysadmins tend not to like this.

Yep, I've done both of these.

Mail spool didn't count on quota, so I wrote some scripts to store and
retrieve messages from /usr/mail/aba.  Didn't actually use them, but I
enjoyed writing them :-)

Also we had a temporary scratch 1 Gig partition on one machine.  Your
stuff was defined to live for 1 week after last access.  So I put

	find /scratch -name \* -exec touch {} \; &

in my .login.  So the stuff was always up to date and lived for ever :-)

The hack caught on, and soon everyone was doing this, and I got a
polite note from admin of the system in question telling me (they
determined I was the ring leader somehow) to pass the word around that
this was not ok, and reprisals in terms of deletion of touched files
would occur to those doing it.

Phun stuff.  (Oddly that and other experimentation ensured I was not
the admins favourite student.)

Adam
--
Now officially an EAR violation...