1997-10-23 - Use crypto, face a death squad

Header Data

From: pgut001@cs.auckland.ac.nz (Peter Gutmann)
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: 477fa12a851e58384bf691adbdbc775354109f54bef8ff88bbbd897621fd92b8
Message ID: <87761312106967@cs26.cs.auckland.ac.nz>
Raw Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 21:32:48 +0800

Raw message

From: pgut001@cs.auckland.ac.nz (Peter Gutmann)
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 21:32:48 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Use crypto, face a death squad

There have been various rumours and comments over the past few years that the
use of crypto in certain countries (Syria, Iraq, possibly China) is very
dangerous for the end user, but very little actual evidence to substantiate
this.  About a week ago I got some evidence (well, something better than the
usual rumours) on the situation with using crypto in Iraq which people might
find interesting.

I was talking to someone who worked for a large multinational corporation
which maintains a comprehensive directory of who to contact in each country
they operate in (basically every country on earth, this was before the gulf
war so Iraq was included) for any kind of emergency.  This consists of a huge
file of data intended to cover every imaginable type of situation.  Included
in the information on Iraq was a comment to the effect that you should never,
ever use any form of encryption when sending messages to the contact people
there.  He can't remember the exact details any more, but the implication was
that any encrypted messages sent to them would result in them quietly
disappearing.  Since this was a very big company with a lot of sensitive
information which it would go to great lengths to protect, I would assume they
had very good reasons for advising against the use of crypto in this instance.

Peter.

Thread