1997-10-07 - Non-US or US-exportable secure modems or RS232 crypto/authentication

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: cryptography@c2.net
Message Hash: 4d447f79066393ea6f74624d23f03da976fd6e18be740bdcaa48c58fac4ba1ab
Message ID: <3.0.3.32.19971007001448.006bfa14@popd.ix.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 15:27:12 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 15:27:12 +0800
To: cryptography@c2.net
Subject: Non-US or US-exportable secure modems or RS232 crypto/authentication

I'm looking for a source of modems that can be used in non-US sites
that support built-in encryption or at least strong authentication
(e.g. token cards would be great, or something stronger than
simple password+dialback.)  A box sitting on the RS232 side of the
modem would probably work fine too, as long as it didn't interfere much
with regular traffic.

One of my customers would like a managed router network, but they're paranoid
(probably reasonably so :-), and our router management folks insist on
modem access to the router console port so they can do things like
reconfigure routers or reboot them when they're hosed.  The customer views
dialback as cute but crackable, and would probably accept one-time passwords
like S/Key but not basic reusable passwords.
				Thanks!
					Bill
Bill Stewart, stewarts@ix.netcom.com
Regular Key PGP Fingerprint D454 E202 CBC8 40BF  3C85 B884 0ABE 4639

Thread