1997-10-02 - Re: “Show me an example of terrorists using the Internet or crypto”

Header Data

From: alexlh@xs4all.nl
To: Matt Elliott <melliott@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
Message Hash: 6014154c10753bbf9212de13530fd516a2092b20867a664056fb09c4ecdf48d0
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.93.971002221244.25693B-100000@xs1.xs4all.nl>
Reply To: <v0311070cb05857160cae@[141.142.103.240]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-10-02 20:40:27 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 04:40:27 +0800

Raw message

From: alexlh@xs4all.nl
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 04:40:27 +0800
To: Matt Elliott <melliott@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Re: "Show me an example of terrorists using the Internet or crypto"

On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, Matt Elliott wrote:

[snip]
> >You people just don't get it do you? A gun has one purpose: To kill. Just like
> >any other tool, a gun, if it is available _will_ be used at some point.
>
> Yea, so what is your point.  As long as it is lawfull killing that seems to
> me to be the point to use a gun.  For lawfull purposes.  Criminals will
> always be using guns anyway.  If they take away guns people will just find
> another just as forcefull method of defending them selves.  I have a potato
> gun that will put a 3 inch hole in just about any living creature.  I'm
> going to take it deer hunting this winter.  It will be cool to say I shot a
> dear with a potato and a can of hair spray (the propelant)

I completely disagree. I bet you'd disagree too when the cops come to take
you away for using illegal crypto. It would be totally lawful. But that's
besides the point.

Killing people is NOT a good thing. It never is. It might be unavoidable
in a you-or-him situation, but that doesn't make it a good thing.

Would you like to be shot? No? Not even if someone else claims he has a
good reason to? I think this goes for most people. So the best that you
can do it claim that _you_ think there's a good reason to kill someone.
This is not a working theory for a community.

Alex

---
I dabble in techno-house and sometimes,
I do that badass hip-hop thang...