1997-10-23 - Re: PGP, Inc.–What were they thinking?

Header Data

From: TruthMonger <tm@dev.null>
To: spencer_ante@webmagazine.com
Message Hash: 8490676a3163bcc26da5f7ec8ceee96d71749b36a076b26d388540d115565778
Message ID: <344EAF27.474F@dev.null>
Reply To: <88256538.007CF786.00@pcwhub.pcworld.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-10-23 02:19:45 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 10:19:45 +0800

Raw message

From: TruthMonger <tm@dev.null>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 10:19:45 +0800
To: spencer_ante@webmagazine.com
Subject: Re: PGP, Inc.--What were they thinking?

spencer_ante@webmagazine.com wrote:

> I think any type of surveillance system is cause for concern--whether it
> originates from the government or IBM. Lastly, I think you overestimate the
> amount of wiggle room folks have in the labor market, which is never
> perfect.

  I remember standing beside a farmer in Buttfuck, North Dakota,
as we watched an antique roadster cruise by. He said, "They don't
make 'em like that, anymore.", to which I replied, "Yeah, and they
probably never did."

  I have nothing against the 'standard phrases' being dug out of the
back of the closet and thrown in the general direction of 'the usual
suspects', every now and again, for the purposes of verifying that
this or that list member has done his or her Cpunx 'required reading.
{Ayn Rand, Snow Crash, Applied Cryptology, Tales from the Crypt...)
  However, I sometimes wonder if some of the 'freeh-market' advocates
on the list, after reading '1984', didn't say to themselves, "Gee, I
think Winston should have just moved somewhere else."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FROM MOUNTAIN MEDIA
    THE LIBERTARIAN, By Vin Suprynowicz
    Your license, please?

  Debra Nutall of Memphis, Tenn. thought she was an American success
story
when she turned her hair-braiding skills into a business and got off
welfare two years ago.

  But now the Tennessee state cosmetology board is trying to close down
her
Memphis shop in a licensing dispute.

  "They call us bootleg braiders in the papers and it hurts," Nutall
told
reporter Paul Shepard of the Associated Press. "We pay our taxes and
make
this as professional as we can. Would they rather have me back on
welfare?"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  Allow me to point out that there is no longer anywhere 'to go' in
order to avoid Big Brother, Little Brother, Invisible Brother...
  You can move to Mars, but you're still responsible for paying US
taxes, so God help you if you ever come back (or if 'they' come and
get you).

> What happens when most of the Fortune 500 starts eavesdropping on
> company email? (Incidentally, I think that most working people--unlike the
> digerati--are not in a position to launch their own company.) It reminds me
> of the drug testing issue. Sure, it sucks and may even be unconstitutional,
> but that hasn't stopped a lot of companies from doing it.

  *Starts* eavesdropping? Where you been, Bubba?
  When a Company has the 'right' to wiretap you, search you, and make
you piss in a jar, as well as having their own armed forces monitoring
you and patrolling your workplace, the main difference between them
and the government is that the corporation usually doesn't pretend
to allow you to vote.
  Like the ads for the Pizza chain, 'Brother' doesn't come in the
'small'
size, anymore. We have Big Brother, Bigger Brother, and All That Can Eat
You Brother.

TruthMonger

Thread