1997-10-02 - Re: Mr. Policeman is Your Friend

Header Data

From: “Attila T. Hun” <attila@hun.org>
To: Tim May <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net>
Message Hash: bfbd3450d208ba252f3c2c556d093d015e00c8dbef280233a1c321280dd7e9f1
Message ID: <19971002.164428@hun.org>
Reply To: <v03102805b0588cff4305@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-10-02 17:06:48 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 01:06:48 +0800

Raw message

From: "Attila T. Hun" <attila@hun.org>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 01:06:48 +0800
To: Tim May <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net>
Subject: Re: Mr. Policeman is Your Friend

on or about 971001:1644
    Tim May <tcmay@got.net> purported to expostulate:

    [snip antecedent]

+Let's not forget that cops are often the bad guys.

    [read Tim's excellent analysis and list in original]

    the thin blue line: just whose side are the police on?

    "the police are the lowest element of our society"
        (either Cato or Marcellus at the time of Julius Caesar)

    the cop is often a thug with a clean enough record to join the force
    and continue his trade.

    if you want to break heads, join the police; if you want to
    destroy buildings, join the fire department.

    these [wo]men may be public servants, but as Tim points out, just
    who is the master. In the US, "We the people" should be the masters,
    but are we?  obviously not.

    read my DejaVu - Cypherpunks as Philosopher Kings. yes, it is
    inflammatory, but the cards are on the table. we're being set
    up to have less rights that are available under the UN declaration
    which has the same right of assembly and protest --as long as it is
    not against the security of the state.

    if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. obvious,
    particularly in America; but think of another implication:

        if the government of the US no longer truly represents
        "We the people," is not the government an outlaw government?

            "if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns" takes
            on a whole new meaning...

    and, remember, we are not fighting a war with guns; we are fighting a
    war for the control of communication and information and that is one
    of the primary functions of cypherpunks: to ensure the freedom of
    speech, including [specifically] encrypted speech.

 --
 "Experience keeps a dear school, but fools will learn in no other."
        --Benjamin Franklin

Thread