1997-10-07 - Re: stored value cards in NYC - Motorola PR fluff.

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: dd8470556ab524e9b935b470460a6e736cb9c4f2233aad4a42809e4ebe30af38
Message ID: <eB28De1w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <Pine.BSI.3.91.971007125440.2431X-100000@ivan.iecc.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-10-07 23:35:31 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 07:35:31 +0800

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 07:35:31 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: stored value cards in NYC - Motorola PR fluff.

John R Levine <johnl@iecc.com> writes:

> > Anybody on the list know more about this project?  ("...one of the largest
> > and most exciting..." :-)  The puff piece has some contact info, but I don'
> > expect to get anything useful from them.
>
> This could be interesting.  NYC already has stored value cards called
> Metrocards which you can use for subway and bus fares.  The MTA has tried
> with little success to get newsstands and other vendors of low-price high
> volume stuff to take them.  Physically they're just thin plastic cards with
> the usual magnetic stripe, nothing fancy.  They permit variable sized
> decrements and are rechargable, so their design must be reasonably
> sophisticated.

They suck.  I'm sticking to tokens.

> I read somewhere in an account of an NYC hackerfest that the Metrocards
> have been subjected to intense hacking but they apparently remain secure.

They can't be all that secure... Bruce Schneier helped design the crypto.
Schneier is to cryptography that Schildt is to C programmin.

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM