1997-10-02 - Re: Encrypting Pagers is Easy! [Overview, technical tradeoffs, crypto]

Header Data

From: Gold Dot <golddot@nym.alias.net>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: e15d59098e65bcbddd7815372f7624f84df3abd7eeb306e7ab5d1bf27f35e995
Message ID: <19971002023208.29615.qmail@nym.alias.net>
Raw Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 10:44:00 +0800

Raw message

From: Gold Dot <golddot@nym.alias.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 10:44:00 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Encrypting Pagers is Easy!   [Overview, technical tradeoffs, crypto]

Y'all:

Since I design pagers for a living, I thought I might comment
on encryption in pagers.

I've been thinking about encryption in pagers for several years
now.  RC4 was suggested, and it is probably a good choice for the
low end microcontrollers used in pagers.

The problem with encryption in pagers is not algorithms, hardware,
software or even technology.  The problem is getting awareness
that there is a problem transmitting pages in the clear.  Most
people have no clue and I've seen not one request from a customer
(meaning large paging companies) for encrypted pagers.  A few
more well-publisized hacks will help, though.  Code space is at
a premium in a pager, so widespread awareness of the inherent
insecurity of paging protocols will be necessary to get encryption
into the products.

So, here's a project for any hacker with time on their hands.
Input the audio signal from a garden variety scanner into your
sound card (just about any variety will do) and decode the
signal.  It's just 4 level FM.  I'd do it myself, but I value
my job. :-)

Or, if you're lazy and have money, buy yourself a SignalPro and
decode two channels simulaneously.

Then, scan paging systems in strategic locations and post the
juicy tidbits to the 'net.

TTFN,

Gold Dot
golddot@nym.alias.net
"Gold is money, and nothing else is." -- some dead guy

Thread