1997-10-08 - privacy rights: giving away the store

Header Data

From: “Attila T. Hun” <attila@hun.org>
To: cypherpunks <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net>
Message Hash: e2b4f816ccc97f498dda7baacdc51596202dc8636a4e675890eb0a92c3986b68
Message ID: <19971008.143034.attila@hun.org>
Raw Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 00:16:16 +0800

Raw message

From: "Attila T. Hun" <attila@hun.org>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 00:16:16 +0800
To: cypherpunks <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net>
Subject: privacy rights: giving away the store

    do you believe this?  so what happened to our privacy?
    the man screams about privacy and encryption one minute,
    then:

> What if I told you there's one easy thing you can do to make
> your 1998 Internet experiences simpler and safer?  Get a
> digital ID.

        Jesse Berst, ZDNet AnchorDesk, full story at
        http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/story/story_1324.html

    really?

> Also called digital certificates, digital IDs (DIDs) are
> like electronic passports -- universal ID cards that prove
> your identity to anyone who needs to know.  You get a DID
> from an independent certificate authority such as VeriSign,
> which performs a background check first.

    just what I wanted, a fucking background check.

    nice schill, Jesse.  OK, I'll call my broker and buy
    Verisign stock.  they're going to be worth bocu bucks
    taking over the fascists' National ID project.

> ...Most Web servers have it already.  Most email programs
> will have it by the end of the year.  And both major
> browsers...

    gee, that's clever.  but The NYTimes, The Times
    [London], the Telegraph, and so on, already log me in
    immediately with a cookie I authorized. why do I need
    certified identity?

    even Wired mag knows me as Attila T. Hun.  interNIC
    knows me as Attila T. Hun, I even get mail to my drop
    box as Attila T. Hun....  My check writer can even
    print checks as Attila T. Hun (the bank does not care
    what the name on the check is --just the MICR numbers).

> ...Your bank knows for sure that it's really you...

    sure, after I enter my password... so what's the big
    deal?  that's all I do now.  automated, too.

> Simpler Surfing.  Sick of separate names and passwords
> for each site?  A single DID will authenticate you for
> any site that supports the technology -- about 20,000 at
> last count, including Netscape Netcenter, Internet
> Shopping Network, K-Mart, Cellular One and many others.

    OK, but I still must ID my system with my National-ID
    card available from the cookie wash. I dont see any
    place to turn it off!

    bastards! --they've implanted it under my skin.

    why?  so big government or big business can really
    catalogue my political views by the stories I read?

    maybe it's my anti-authoritarian, psychotic behaviour
    and rants against fascist oligarchies,

    or, maybe because I post to Cypherpunks?

> ...you'll help the Internet make an important transition
> --from a fun place to surf to a safe place to do business.

    aah haa!  I knew there was a reason for all this hoopla!
    What's good for Bill Gate$ is good for the country.

    ...uuh, sorry Mr. AL (GM) $loan; I meant to quote you
    correctly: "What's good for General Motors is good for
    the country."

> A safer Internet is at hand. All you have to do is seize it.

    no, jesse, you got that one wrong --the coy fascist dog
    F[reeh,uck] just seized you --and the rest of the
    suckers that fall for Verisign's National-ID.

        attila still going out...

Thread