1997-10-09 - Re: Internet Via Electric Lines? (fwd)

Header Data

From: phelix@vallnet.com
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: f5454d98655b21fdc4e6f3f7bf0f752eb7b02acee1284b8dd01d49c213746101
Message ID: <34458bd4.96061987@128.2.84.191>
Raw Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 19:45:35 +0800

Raw message

From: phelix@vallnet.com
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 19:45:35 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Re: Internet Via Electric Lines? (fwd)

On 9 Oct 1997 02:25:13 -0500, "William H. Geiger III" <whgiii@invweb.net>
wrote:

>In <199710081234.HAA11747@einstein.ssz.com>, on 10/08/97
>   at 07, Jim Choate <ravage@ssz.com> said:

X-10?  security?  hehehe... that's good for a laugh.

There is no security whatsover in X-10.  If your neighbor knows the
addresses of your X-10 units and his power comes off the same transformer
as yours, he can easily turn your lights on and off.  The only thing
protecting you (besides obscurity) is the transformer that isolates your
power line from others.

X-10 doesn't use any type of FM signal.  It simply transmits bits in the
zeros of the ac power 'signal'.  It only get 120bps and most signals are
repeated 3 times (even with that, the signal sometimes gets lost in the
line noise), so really you only get 40bps.   A command consists simply of
[address],[command].  The address is 8 bits long, I dont' remember how long
the command is.  In X-10 speak, and address is [A-P] [1-16].  The commands
are on,off,bright,dim,all-lights-on, and a few others.

There's no security, no encryption, not even collision detection when using
more than one transmitter.

Now, there a new system called cebus, but it's over 10X more expensive.  I
don't know too much about it.

-- Phelix

Thread