1997-11-19 - Re: export restictions and investments

Header Data

From: Rich Salz <rsalz@opengroup.org>
To: whgiii@invweb.net
Message Hash: 0e2e1673d0731b5ee3305727fc28f08063542867a88b99c0daa467ce8b6bcae9
Message ID: <199711190359.WAA10764@sulphur.osf.org>
Raw Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 12:15:46 +0800

Raw message

From: Rich Salz <rsalz@opengroup.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 12:15:46 +0800
To: whgiii@invweb.net
Subject: Re: export restictions and investments

>How do the US export restrictions affect investments into non-US crypto
>companies? Is it legal for US private persons or companies to invest
>money into companies developing strong crypto applications for example in
>Europe?

We got an official legal opinion, which was that wholly-owned subsidiaries
of US entities are subject to US regulations in this area.

>Since Sun bought the Russian Elvis+ company

Are you really sure that they bought it all? That would go against what
we had been told, and I have a great deal of respect for the legal/crypto
expertise of "Barry an Jay" at the Washington, DC, law office of Hale & Dorr.
	/r$

Thread