1997-11-04 - Re:

Header Data

From: semprini@theschool.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 249d6e57306c89c6b1360139a6d05de9af264d168c5801e675456dff523035e1
Message ID: <199711040738.XAA26306@k2.brigadoon.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 16:05:39 +0800

Raw message

From: semprini@theschool.com
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 16:05:39 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re:

> > Someone on this list, I forget who, has made numerous attempts at
> > convincing us that pornography 'does no harm' to children.  It is
> > exactly at this point that I must draw a line. Studies have shown that
> > an event which lasts even so much as three-tenths of a second, within
> > five to ten minutes has produced a structural change in the brain.
> > Exposure to porn causes actual brain damage, especially in a child.
>
> let me guess . . . scientology? it sounds to me as if you just despise
> porn so much that you're seeing red, and hence . . . not seeing the
> facts straight (or believing whatever you [want to] hear).

Let me set some facts straight. The idea in the paragraph above from
Jodi Hoffman is quite contrary to the ideas held by Scientologists.
The idea in the paragraph above has to do with the ideas held by the
secular humanists and their attempts to explain human behaviour as
having nothing to do with a will, but as just chemical reactions.
Make sure you know exactly what ideas are held by a particular group
before you attempt to denounce them. As Mark Twain once said, "First
get your facts straight; then you can distort them."

--Dylan

FWIW, I heartily agree that Jodi probably "despises porn so much she's
seeing red", which she has every right to do. However! She's quoting
studies that are crocks, so her entire agrument is fallacious, as
TruthMonger so eloquently pointed out. :)

Thread