1997-11-04 - Re: PGP compatibility

Header Data

From: Lucky Green <shamrock@cypherpunks.to>
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: 291ea7aa987684c1b5d13ec5977c1137c9b5d02cef947ed6fba2ae90903532e3
Message ID: <Pine.BSF.3.96.971104082253.29652A-100000@pakastelohi.cypherpunks.to>
Reply To: <iNX3RsnMvFVAxjTpyHr4HQ==@bureau42.ml.org>
UTC Datetime: 1997-11-04 07:52:55 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 15:52:55 +0800

Raw message

From: Lucky Green <shamrock@cypherpunks.to>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 15:52:55 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Re: PGP compatibility

[It is probably a waste of time, but I'll try it anyway...]

On Mon, 3 Nov 1997, bureau42 Anonymous Remailer wrote:

> Let me guess, Lucky, you're using Windows, right? If I was a Windows user
> exclusively I probably wouldn't give a damn either.

Windows 95/NT, MacOS, FreeBSD, Linux, Solaris, AIX, and right now I need
to deal with OS/390. 'Nuff said on the OS flame...

> PGP Inc. has taken a *multi-platform* *network-wide* system and broken it.
> They released a Windows version months ago completely severing lines of
> communication between 5.0 and 2.x users.
>
> Finally, after months, they get around to releasing a UNIX version so that
> everybody else can use PGP 5.x.

I probably should find it amusing to read such nonsene by people that
don't know what they are talking about, but frankly, I just find it
annoying.

PGP released their UNIX code the same day they released  their Windows
code. I know. I was there. I have 7 volume of source on my shelf to
prove it. Hurt my back lifting several boxes for re-distribution...

That it took so long before the source was available was due to the US
export laws. [The Windows and Mac source still  isn't 100% proofread].

BTW, how many pages did *you* proofread? Thought so. I
organized a 30 man tent full of proofreaders to get get stacks of
pages full of assembler proofread. By the end of the weekend, the
source was up for ftp. Your contribution to the project was...? 'Nuff
said on this topic.

 >Of course the damned thing *still* isn't
> stable,

You have/are going to contribute how many man months of highly qualified
programmer time to make PGP 5 fully stable? ... Right...I see.

https://www.cypherpunks.to/pgp5hacks/ [For the braindead...]

> and *still* has the command line
> broken.

Compatibility mode is not yet implemented. Are you voluntering your
time?... Oh.... Hmm..

Anyway, I got to go and get some work done. Been nice talking with you.

-- Lucky Green <shamrock@cypherpunks.to> PGP v5 encrypted email preferred.
   "Tonga? Where the hell is Tonga? They have Cypherpunks there?"

Thread