1997-11-12 - Re: Bell vs. Woodward–justice?

Header Data

From: “S. M. Halloran” <mitch@duzen.com.tr>
To: Paul Bradley <paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Message Hash: 37c6a9e85f3517d4038ee1b360356b84b94a6f316812c22469e03dbc9559a69c
Message ID: <199711121324.PAA14037@ankara.duzen.com.tr>
Reply To: <v03102800b08d18c99cbf@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-11-12 12:38:37 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 20:38:37 +0800

Raw message

From: "S. M. Halloran" <mitch@duzen.com.tr>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 20:38:37 +0800
To: Paul Bradley <paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Bell vs. Woodward--justice?

On 11 Nov 97, Paul Bradley <paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk> was found to have
commented thusly:

> > Apparently shaking a baby to death is a lesser crime than opposing
> > government fascism and having a continuing interest in chemistry.
>
> Apparently so, I must say in this particular case I see a cause for an
> aquittal based on reasonable doubt, but I`m not a juror so I didn`t see
> all the evidence so my opinion is not really valid. The general principle

The question is why she shook the baby at all.  If you have a sick
baby, you call the emergency medical services, period!   And especially
if the child is not your own.

This 19-year old was way out of her league and not at all fit for
child care activities.  I am a firm believer that baby care for 3 year
olds and less should be licensed.  The requirements for the license
would be minimal.  It just merely shows that you understand that babies
less than 1 year of age often cry--some hardly at all, others damn near
all the time--and that 97% of the time there is a reason that can be
found and the solution implemented, and the other 3% of the time the
reason is beyond our understanding, but things will just seem to take
care of themselves.  The licensing procedure might also be a way of
checking if you have the minimal temperment to deal with infants and
small children.

I frankly think the 19 year-old is guilty of negligent homicide (that
is, causing the death of the baby because of ignorance of proper baby
care).  I could go on and on about my idea of proper
parenting (and baby care), but I don't think the people on this list
would like the drift.

> It makes a mockery of the judicial system that a judge can overturn a
> verdict like Zobel has done in the Woodward case, sure, allow her to
> appeal, but giving an appointed official the power to decide a verdict
> makes me sick, and a sentence of 279 days for manslaughter is a joke.

Having lived on the outside of America now for some time, I know that
those who are not Americans have a hard time figuring out our justice
system.  But although each state has its own set of penal codes, they
are pretty much uniform in their agreement about trial procedure
regarding disposition of felonies.  I think there is a reasonable
argument that the prosecution should be interested in justice or in
being a representative of The People of the State of ...:  does the
prosecutor really believe that the accused committed the crime, or is
there a district attorney election coming up and this murder rap has to
go down soon?

What about the judge?  His first purpose is to make sure the law is
followed, especially with respect to trial procedure.  But with the law
is JUSTICE!  It has always been my belief that the ultimate goal of
these sacred occasions is justice.  In California--from where I come
and a state which often leads in setting standards of
jurisprudence--the judge has the absolute right to overturn a
guilty verdict or modify it in some way rather than let it go to an
appellate court and make those guys mad.

The judge in this case never overturned the verdict (an action
appealable in any case) but said she was guilty of the crime of shaking
the baby to death, but not intentionally.  Since the 19 year old
doesn't deny shaking or "rough handling" the baby, there is no
reasonable doubt.  In my state, she is guilty of voluntary
manslaughter.  I also would have sentenced her to receive instruction
on how to be a better parent and how to "chill out" whenever a baby
cries.  gawdhelpusall, but one day this woman may be a mother!

I am rather curious to know where public opinion lies in the UK, just
to get a fix on cultural differences.

Mitch Halloran
Research Biochemist/C programmer/Sequoia's (dob 12-20-95) daddy
Duzen Laboratories Group
Ankara   TURKEY
mitch@duzen.com.tr

Thread