1997-11-17 - Re: PGPsdk is now free for non-commercial use

Header Data

From: phelix@vallnet.com
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: 3882ea4b7c3347971e5296a25014c4d5fa172be2c670480d5c67c02a74d67cc2
Message ID: <346fceac.2664896@128.2.84.191>
Reply To: <3.0.3.32.19971116182556.0072fe08@popd.ix.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-11-17 05:18:30 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 13:18:30 +0800

Raw message

From: phelix@vallnet.com
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 13:18:30 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Re: PGPsdk is now free for non-commercial use

On 16 Nov 1997 22:18:39 -0600, Alan Olsen <alan@clueserver.org> wrote:

>>From what I have read of the license it is against the license agreement to
>ship the libraries on a CD of shareware products for which a price is charged.
>
>If I were to create a program using the libraries and upload them to Simtel
>or one of the other big archives, it could not be distributed on a Simtel
>CD-ROM that someone was charging money for.  (Ignoring the usual export
>issues.)
>
>I see this as a big problem.

This, unfortunately, is a non-issue.  I just reread the license agreement
and noticed the following:

Non-Commercial Distribution License.

 Subject to all the terms and conditions of this Agreement, PGP hereby
grants to you or your organization a limited, nonexclusive, nontransferable
license (a) to incorporate [... stuff deleted ...]
and (b) to reproduce and distribute the Bundled Freeware Application to end
users solely by electronic means (for example, posting on networks or
Internet sites for others to download),

So, the only way to really (legally) distribute this would be on your own
web site, or a web site that will never be picked up on a cdrom
distribution.

The as of yet unreleased shareware licensing agreements will probably cover
cdrom distribution.

-- Phelix

(ps.  always read anything written by lawyers twice)

Thread