1997-11-01 - Re: Victim Ordered to Surrender Computer and Passwords

Header Data

From: Rabid Wombat <wombat@mcfeely.bsfs.org>
To: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
Message Hash: 3b364addf487769e2f45d641d785d197a57dd409c5e5caaed2d689c8baf0c379
Message ID: <Pine.BSF.3.91.971101122030.21507H-100000@mcfeely.bsfs.org>
Reply To: <v03110744b07e64c03d53@[139.167.130.248]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-11-01 18:49:41 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 2 Nov 1997 02:49:41 +0800

Raw message

From: Rabid Wombat <wombat@mcfeely.bsfs.org>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 1997 02:49:41 +0800
To: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
Subject: Re: Victim Ordered to Surrender Computer and Passwords

Along the lines of keeping a "throw away" handgun around ... keep a
"throw away" computer.

On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Robert Hettinga wrote:

> --- begin forwarded text

> To: 0xdeadbeef@substance.abuse.blackdown.org
> Cc: bostic@bsdi.com
> Subject: Victim Ordered to Surrender Computer and Passwords
> Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 10:04:22 -0500
> From: glen mccready <glen@qnx.com>
>

> Forwarded-by: Peter Tonoli <anarchie@brimstone.suburbia.net>
>
> Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 03:02:58 -0500
> From: David Kennedy <76702.3557@compuserve.com>
> Subject: Victim Ordered to Surrender Computer and Passwords

> Cyber Allegations (AP US & World  21 Oct 1997)
>
> >   PONTIAC, Mich. (AP) -- A woman who said she was sexually assaulted by a
> > man she met through an on-line "chat room" has been ordered to turn over
> > her computer for examination by the defendant's lawyer.  Circuit Judge
> > Alice Gilbert issued the order Oct. 8 after the defendant said another
> > computer user told him that the woman had bragged on-line -- in a chat
> > room called "Man Haters" -- about making up the story.  The woman was
> > also ordered to reveal her password and on-line aliases.
>
> o The accused, a 26-year old is alleged to have pulled a knife and attacked
> the victim after a date on Feb 28th.  Prosecutors have said they will
> appeal.
>
> > "In my view, turning over somebody's computer these days is the same as
> > asking to go through their diary or mail," said prosecutor John
> > Pietrofesa.  Inspecting computer records from the opposing side, while
> > relatively new in criminal cases, has become common in civil cases, said
> > Michigan lawyer and computer law expert Robert A. Dunn.  In civil cases, a
> > judge will institute safeguards such as making both sides sign a
> > confidentiality agreement that information gleaned from computer records
> > will not be disclosed outside of court, he said.
>
> Dave Kennedy CISSP, National Computer Security Assoc
>
> --- end forwarded text

> Robert Hettinga (rah@shipwright.com), Philodox
> e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
> "... however it may deserve respect for its usefulness and antiquity,
> [predicting the end of the world] has not been found agreeable to
> experience." -- Edward Gibbon, 'Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire'
> The e$ Home Page: http://www.shipwright.com/
> Ask me about FC98 in Anguilla!: <http://www.fc98.ai/>

Thread