1997-11-15 - Tim plans to kill a federal judge

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: 3b9aba5f773b04babec492c2f6a7abc1681c3e4104be2c2fdb21c3524a094928
Message ID: <v03102814b092a6fc7e52@[207.167.93.63]>
Raw Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 10:14:30 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 10:14:30 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Tim plans to kill a federal judge

At 3:43 PM -0700 11/13/97, Neva Remailer wrote:

>Robert Hettinga wrote:
>>> If Tim and others fail to exercise their right to say what they
>>> believe, then it is likely those rights will be suspended in due
>>> time.
>>
>>Like I said before, it makes sense, but not because Foucault said
>>it. Broken clocks, and all that. Besides, Monty, I hate appeals to
>>authority almost as much as I hate ad honminae.

I just saw this, courtesy of Monty's reply.

This is really rich. Hettinga hates "ad hominae."

This from the guy who started this latest flame war with such choice
phrases as:

"Tim's Way Cool Latter-Day Farnham's-Freehold in the Santa Clara
mountains.... a bunch of "freedom fighters" like the one you fancy yourself
to be these days... instead of shoving your favorite Mac-10 up the nose of
every statist treehugger you bump into out there in lotusland.... you won't
have to clean the snot off the end of your
gunbarrel so often..."

Hettinga, heal thyself.

A comment or two on the rest of what Monty is saying:

>Are you asking me to use Foucault's line without giving him credit?
>That doesn't seem right to me.
>
>Foucault's essay was insightful and significantly influenced my point
>of view.  Not only does he deserve the credit, but mentioning his name
>may direct other interested readers toward his work.
>
>BTW, how much of Foucault have you actually read?  I am generally
>unfamiliar with his work, but I have a sinking feeling the same can be
>said for certain of his critics.
>
>It is easy to give French intellectuals a cursory reading and conclude
>that there is nothing there.  However, often there is quite a lot of
>something there, but it comes from people with a different
>intellectual tradition than our own so it is harder to understand.  An
>apparently absurd sentence is often a reference to a body of work with
>which we are not familiar.

By the way, the same can be said about the work of Heidegger, a thinker who
has had some influence on me. Whenever I cite anything Heidegger ever said,
I can count on some numbskull to parrot the "Heidegger was a Nazi" shtick.

(These same kind of folks use to automatically label anything Nietzsche
said as tainted because of the Nazi's later affinity for some of his works,
but the "rehabilitation" of Nietzsche has been largely successful, and N.
is of course now a hero of the Left. Whatever. Nietzsche was of course
neither a leftist nor a rightist...he was just who he was.)

Hettinga has admitted basic ignorance of Foucault, just as he backpedalled
furiously on the "Aurora" claims he made.

(about Hettinga's repeated, and loud, claims in recent days that I have
called for the death of a federal judge)

>Tim has repeatedly made it clear to the world that this was not his
>meaning.  What is your purpose in declaring otherwise?

Hettinga shows his true colors by repeating these lies over and over again.
I would not be at all surprised if he has forwarded carefully excerpted
fragments to his friendly FBI offices, hoping they'll make a move to
investigate me.

>In every other instance in which Tim has discussed capital punishment,
>it has been in the context of a trial.
>
>If OJ had committed a brutal murder in a state without the death
>penalty, say Massachusetts, and Tim said "OJ is guilty of a capital
>crime", would you conclude that he was calling for his murder?

I have, over the years, expressed my constitutional opinion about many
people whom I think have committed capital crimes. OJ, of course. And Lon
Horiuchi, the shooter at Ruby Ridge. And, if you check the archives, Tim
McVeigh. Fact is, many people have committed capital crimes. And I don't
particularly feel like paying my share of the $50-100K a year to keep them
well fed and housed at Club Fed, so I'd just as soon spend a quarter on a
rifle round and be done with them.

I don't have a clue who "Monty Cantsin" is, but his clear thinking makes it
kind of a shame he will remain a nym forever, unless he declares himself.

(No one, not even Vinge or Card, ever said nyms would carry the same
reputation capital True Names do. Maybe someday. But not in the foreseeable
future.)

>Clearly that would not be reasonable.  So why do you feel the meaning
>changes when "OJ" is substituted for "The judge"?  Perhaps you harbor
>latent urges to murder our public officials and wish to draw attention
>from yourself by pointing the finger at Tim.  You seem to be talking
>about it more than anybody else.

Indeed. Hettinga keeps quoting this "Tim plans to kill a federal judge"
mantra so much that I'd better rename the thread to this just to keep
Hettinga happy. There, it's done.

>Incidentally, it is well documented that in the 1980s, the USG had
>detailed plans for mass arrests of dissident citizens.  Ten army camps
>had been selected for this purpose.  The plan was to be executed in
>the event the country invaded Nicaragua.  The USG has incarcerated
>masses of U.S. citizens without trial at least twice during the 20th
>century.

Yep. And to show that I am not the jingoist Ito presumes I am, arresting
and imprisoning those of Japanese descent without due process was, of
course, a capital crime.

Had I been a Japanese-American, deprived of my liberty for several years,
with no evidence that I had committed a crime, and with my property
forfeited to the government (often for failure to pay taxes--duh!!!!), I'd
have advocated the death penalty for those who falsely imprisoned me and
stole my land.

But most Jap immigrants were wimps.
>Perhaps it is your turn to crack open a book and find the reference.
>I would be quite interested (and surprised) if you can substantiate
>your claim.

Hettinga doesn't bother with research. He just shoots from the hip. He
concentrates on _style_ over substance. Must be his liberal arts training.

--Tim May