1997-11-04 - Re: Profiling/pc security at Ben-Gurion Airport, Tel Aviv, Israel

Header Data

From: phelix@vallnet.com
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: 41db236e2a5655fb4158a7e56cf928a7d5081c9073b0ca91c27301da62183c37
Message ID: <345f8817.3651882@128.2.84.191>
Reply To: <1.5.4.32.19971104141539.00678200@pop.samart.co.th>
UTC Datetime: 1997-11-04 21:32:33 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 05:32:33 +0800

Raw message

From: phelix@vallnet.com
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 05:32:33 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Re: Profiling/pc security at Ben-Gurion Airport, Tel Aviv, Israel

On 4 Nov 1997 14:08:19 -0600, kraiwut@samart.co.th wrote:

>Profiling/personal computer security at Ben Gurion Airport, Tel Aviv
>I just had a rather unholy experience in Israel. Maybe someone with
>expertise can email me a few suggestions with regards to securing a PC at
>start up.

[ long horror story deleted]

>What can I do to make the computer fucking impenetrable at start up? --- to
>the point that they have to ask me for the password or  nothing moves.

Nothing can stop them completely from starting up your machine.  The best
thing you can do is to use a bios password, but that won't hold up if
somebody cracks open the machine.

If somebody can get physical control of your computer, they can start it
up.  However, that doesn't mean that they can run anything important.
Encrypt your files and install everything on one of the secure filesystems
floating around ( like SFS from
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/sfs.html ).

Also check out the following site for a description of a secure notebook
machine:

http://www.eskimo.com/~joelm/cbintro.html

-- Phelix

Thread