1997-11-02 - Re: effective GACK fighting (fwd)

Header Data

From: nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 52f5b011458b8a4f88b6145a69938e389fbc1deded19818a424ebe866c753c81
Message ID: <199711022210.XAA19506@basement.replay.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 06:15:39 +0800

Raw message

From: nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 06:15:39 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: effective GACK fighting (fwd)

Blanc wrote:
>Jim Choate wrote:
>>But, why do we need a lawyer? We have the right to represent ourselves, why
>>let somebody who has a intimate stake in the status quo represent us?
>
>Well, first of all I was being facetious, because of how people are always
>saying we need Leadership (tm) and need to elect another President in order
>to have a more Perfect Union.   But I said we need a "good" lawyer - a
>libertarian lawyer - because I expect that it would take someone who had
>studied the legal system and made it their project to be well-educated and
>articulate on these matters, to be able to successfully represent the
>Consitutional values which we subscribe to.
[snip]

Fortunately some of these "good" lawyers already exist at the Institute for
Justice.  Basically, they are a libertarian version of the ACLU.  They've
accomplished some good things and deserve the support (read $$$) of
freedom-minded individuals everywhere.  (note: I'm not connected with them
in any way; just letting the cypherpunk community know about an organization
in sync with our views)

 "If you seek a courtroom champion for individual liberty, free market
  solutions, and limited government, look only as far as the Institute
  for Justice.  When politicians pass sweepingly intrusive laws and
  bureaucrats build their empires of paperwork and power, only the
  Institute for Justice brings them to account in court."
  -- http://www.InstituteforJustice.org/

>>Has there ever been a law suite brought against the Supreme Court or
>>Congress claiming their actions were unconstitutional? The amendment
>>relating to taxation for a start, repeal individual taxation and return to
>>the system originaly intended by the founding fathers.
>
>I don't know.   But this is the sort of issue I was thinking of.

Bill Benson has done some extensive research (his book is called The Law
That Never Was) regarding the 16th Amendment (the so-called Income Tax
Amendment) and how it was ratified.  According to the information he has
uncovered through exhaustive research in D.C. and all of the state capitals
of the then 48 states, the 16th Amendment was never ratified by 3/4ths of
the states. (see http://www.trustclarks.com/theman.html for more info)

Friends of mine have spoken to Mr. Benson about this, and he says that the
courts won't touch it with a ten foot pole.  He even sells a package (or at
least he was selling it back in 1995) of legal information about the
non-ratification of the 16th that can be used as a defense in an income tax
case.  According to Mr. Benson (in 1995), each of the cases was dropped when
the defense made it clear they were going to argue their defense based on
this point.

I understand that folks in the "patriot" movement have tried to take this to
the Supreme Court without success.  The Court refused to hear it.

Assuming Mr. Benson's research is accurate and legitimate, the 16th didn't
even come close to being ratified and is truly a Law That Never Was.  Think
about that next April 15th...the IRS's "lawful" authority is based upon a
legal fiction.  That's why it's called >voluntary< compliance.

Nerthus

Thread