1997-11-20 - Re: From the Files - Freeh and Flight 800

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: 56803568225b13e54f840a584cfc2817d481afbbd200b0a957d0cf12f99836ad
Message ID: <v03102805b09976cf9c73@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <1.5.4.32.19971120010958.006d23b4@pop.pipeline.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-11-20 06:28:04 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 14:28:04 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 14:28:04 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Re: From the Files - Freeh and Flight 800

At 6:09 PM -0700 11/19/97, John Young wrote:

>Perhaps Tim May is correct in his assessment of Jim,
>but NTSC's upcoming hearing should produce more
>reliable technical information than Kallstrom appears to
>be comfortable handling -- given his bent for melodrama
>fine details of investigation seem to be an annoyance,
>although he appeared to like the assurance of the CIA's
>virtual reality.
>
>Kallstrom also said that the case will remain open, I guess
>in case Boeing or TWA or something needs to be zapped
>by blind justice.

My main point in my post was about the "clampdown on civil liberties" after
the dual "terrorist incidents" of Flight 800 and Richard Jewell, and how
those liberties are not being given back to us now that the crash of Flight
800 has been ruled a non-terrorist attack.

Analysis of the missile theory was not my main thrust.

There's always a chance it _was_ a missile, or a bomb, or somesuch. I don't
see compelling evidence. The CIA reconstruction looked quite complete and
plausible to me.

We can argue for the next 30 years about the vapor trail from the grassy
knoll, but it seems like a wild goose chase to me.

And there are much more substantiated cases of malfeasance. If 1% of the
media attention given to Flight 900 had been given to
Inslaw/Cabazon/Systematics and the Octopus/Casolaro/Contras mess, much more
useful things would be learned. Learned by the American public, that is.

For starters, folks ought to do a Web search on J. Orlin Grabbe, who was on
the Cypherpunks list a couple of years ago. Lots of interesting stuff, and
his articles are getter wider distribution now.

--Tim May