1997-11-11 - Fwd: psychoceramics: Fighting back against the Government

Header Data

From: Alan Olsen <alan@clueserver.org>
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: 5db72ae8ff0d07a0b00bd9e253bfdea5ba1d0e2ff91a86fdc41b5e6403619843
Message ID: <199711110737.XAA03002@www.ctrl-alt-del.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 15:35:28 +0800

Raw message

From: Alan Olsen <alan@clueserver.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 15:35:28 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Fwd: psychoceramics: Fighting back against the Government

This is an interesting spin doctoring of Jim Bell's situation.  I picked
this up off the psychoceramics list.  Why it was there is unclear...

>>From http://www.usnews.com:80/usnews/issue/971117/17weap.htm

>Terrorism's next waveNerve gas and germs are the new weapons of choice
> BY DAVID E. KAPLAN
>
>Jeff Gordon thought he had seen it all. A veteran IRS investigator,
>Gordon's job since 1988 had been to probe threats and assaults against
>his fellow agents. There was no shortage in recent years--stabbings,
>fires, mortar attacks, and big unexploded bombs outside IRS offices in
>Los Angeles and Reno, Nevada. But in the first months of this year,
>Gordon found himself working on the strangest case of his career. From
>an informant, he had learned of a Portland, Ore., man named James Dalton
>Bell. Bell owed some $30,000 in back taxes and served as a juror in a
>local "common law court." Dozens of these self-appointed tribunals have
>issued "fines" and even death sentences against public officials.
>Bell was also active in antigovernment forums on the Internet, where he
>had posted a dark scheme threatening murder of troublesome federal
>agents. Participants could send encrypted messages to each other, Bell
>proposed, offering donations to whoever "predicted" how long a targeted
>official would live. The winner, presumably the assassin, would be
>rewarded with electronic fund transfers from anonymous donors,
>hesuggested.
>Gordon checked further. Bell, it turned out, was an electronics engineer
>at a nearby circuit board manufacturer. He was also an MIT-educated
>chemist who had been arrested eight years earlier for making
>methamphetamine, but pleaded guilty to a lesser charge. According to
>court records, Bell had once told a friend: "The first thing to remember
>is: Never make a chemist angry at you."
>In February, the IRS docked Bell's wages and seized his 10-year-old car.
>Inside the vehicle, Gordon found instructions for making bombs and
>molotov cocktails. There was also far-right literature, a printout
>listing large amounts of cyanide, and detailed information on
>fertilizer, a key ingredient in the Oklahoma City bomb. But with no
>evidence that Bell had hurt anyone, Gordon could not move.
>A burning stench. Four weeks later, on a Monday morning in March, IRS
>officials encountered a terrible nose-burning stench as they arrived at
>their building in Vancouver, the Portland suburb where Bell lived.
>Investigators traced the smell to a welcome mat dosed with propanethiol.
>The chemical is used by utilities in minuscule concentrations to give
>natural gas its noticeable smell. "It's Bell," Gordon told his boss.
>"I'm sure of it." Bell had attempted twice to buy propanethiol from a
>chemical-supply company in Milwaukee, Gordon then learned. Worried that
>the stink bomb was a trial run for something much worse, on April 1,
>authorities raided Bell's home. They seized five computers and three
>semiautomatic assault rifles, then opened his garage door. Before them
> [...]
---
|              "That'll make it hot for them!" - Guy Grand               |
|"The moral PGP Diffie taught Zimmermann unites all| Disclaimer:         |
| mankind free in one-key-steganography-privacy!"  | Ignore the man      |
|`finger -l alano@teleport.com` for PGP 2.6.2 key  | behind the keyboard.|
|         http://www.ctrl-alt-del.com/~alan/       |alan@ctrl-alt-del.com|

Thread