1997-11-25 - Re: Iraq and computers

Header Data

From: TruthMonger <tm@dev.null>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 72a6cf25e787dcdbe24484722670c70b38c25b775bf8db612ea72e5b8f910560
Message ID: <347A40F1.1D5E@dev.null>
Reply To: <199711250133.CAA09163@basement.replay.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-11-25 03:50:05 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 11:50:05 +0800

Raw message

From: TruthMonger <tm@dev.null>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 11:50:05 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Iraq and computers

Monkey Catskin wrote:

> Michael Wilson wrote that Reuters wrote:
> >Quoting U.S. officials and U.N. diplomats, the newspaper said that
> >Iraqi scientists and defense officials are using Western-made
> >computers to transfer data from bulky papers to small disks that can
> >be easily dispersed, making the information difficult for inspectors
> >to track.
>
> This is an interesting development because it also makes it hard for
> the Iraqi government to track what is going on, too.  The government
> of Iraq has been aware of the dangers of computers for many years.  At
> one time they were tightly controlled.  Even typewriters were
> controlled.  The government had writing samples of each one.
>
> Now, apparently, this policy is loosening.  This suggests that U.S.
> policy of the last 8 years has managed to achieve what Saddam Hussein
> could not - it has made the Hussein regime a genuinely popular
> government.

  I told the Pentagon that they could avoid the Iraqui citizens
misunderstanding our intentions by stenciling "We're from the US
government, and we're here to help you!" on the sides of the
missles and bombs. But nnooooo...that would make too much sense,
wouldn't it?

> Still, it can't be universally popular.  How many cypherpunks live in
> Iraq?

  At least one...

SaddaMonger

Thread