1997-11-18 - Re: Exporting crypto from Japan

Header Data

From: Anonymous <nobody@REPLAY.COM>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 74a470f507bba6756da50c6f69f0ffe176a89d189e6d8240d01be3a3858ee987
Message ID: <199711180715.IAA13188@basement.replay.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 16:16:27 +0800

Raw message

From: Anonymous <nobody@REPLAY.COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 16:16:27 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Exporting crypto from Japan

Adam Back writes:

> I am pleased that you are discussing with us crypto politics in
> Japan... we have few contributors from Japan in the past.

Yeah, surprising, isn't it, considering how open and welcoming the
cypherpunks have been to foreigners and minority races...

Actually Adam Back should be nominated for cypherpunk of the year.
Unlike a blowhard do-nothing like Timothy "Chop-chop" May (and now we know
what the C stands for, don't we?), Adam actually accomplishes things.
His 3-line RSA has dramatized the absurdity of the export controls like
nothing else.  He built a working prototype of an eternity server while
everybody else just talked about it.  He's been a leader in the fight to
oppose PGP GAKware.  He has strong political views but is not motivated
by hatred and fear.

Adam doesn't get nearly the respect he deserves, probably because he's
not much of a wordsmith.  Tim May's sophistry is good enough to pull
the wool over most people's eyes.  But look deeper and you'll see that
Adam's heart is pure.  That's worth far more than May's skill at artfully
wrapping his garbage.

Thread