1997-11-14 - Navajo Code Talkers

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: 78feff6a2ba663e8d47b8d4e6d395f6d2a79a82a4edf1f317d2fc0b6b2e67b5e
Message ID: <v03102808b091a0d3e689@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <199711140509.GAA00261@basement.replay.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-11-14 07:40:43 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 15:40:43 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 15:40:43 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Navajo Code Talkers

At 11:39 PM -0700 11/13/97, Ryan Anderson wrote:

>That's not as embarassing as the fact that we're running low on speakers
>of Navajo in this country now.  It would be kinda convenient to have that
>ability available again.  My gut feeling is that Navajo remains one of the
>most poorly documented languages in the world....  government research
>(funny name for it, come to think of it) into the language is probably
>quite classified....

But the basis of using the Navajo code talkers was classic "security
through obscurity." The U.S. was expecting, quite reasonably, that the
Japanese side would not have any Navajo speakers available (nor that they
Japanese would even figure out _what_ the language was).

The jig is up on using Navajo code talkers, so this particular role is now
history.

And modern crypto doesn't need this kind of code talking.

Finally, there are a couple of Navajo lexicons and dictionaries now
available, so the government has obviously not classified Navajo
scholarship...nor could it.

--Tim May