1997-11-12 - Secure HTTP proxying

Header Data

From: “Paul Feldman” <p.feldman@mailexcite.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 960a9e79c99329699dc911671cf72bf6ab39d0bda1ad418c937a5cc64054b908
Message ID: <NEEECPNEGFPDDAAA@mailexcite.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 16:48:57 +0800

Raw message

From: "Paul Feldman" <p.feldman@mailexcite.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 16:48:57 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Secure HTTP proxying

Hi,
do someone knows if there is any browser which uses SSL to contact a HTTP proxy ?

in the standard schema, we want to contact a secure server through a proxy, so the
browser sends the CONNECT  method to the proxy to contact the remote (secure) site.

in the schema of my interest, the browser wants to contact a remote secure or insecure
site with "hiding" of the communication from some intermediate sniffers, it does
so by using a http proxy in SSL mode and then contacting the site of his choice.

This is very important for permitting web navigation in insecure environnements if
the malicious eyes dont have access to the proxy's network.
talking about HTTP proxies in general, i think setting these is as important as setting
anonymous remailers, i hope there are some ppl with enough motivation and ressources
to help broadcast safe cyberculture.
Best Regards
-- paul

http://www.mailexcite.com