1997-11-17 - kiwi not home (was: getting premail)

Header Data

From: bureau42 Anonymous Remailer <nobody@bureau42.ml.org>
To: cypherpunks@www.video-collage.com
Message Hash: b59f9ca4cf27b52b0aec8c442a337846a6c11160aef57a62e6a7f337ece63f17
Message ID: <ciQ052BPHhNlGI87sr7/tQ==@bureau42.ml.org>
Raw Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 12:27:24 +0800

Raw message

From: bureau42 Anonymous Remailer <nobody@bureau42.ml.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 12:27:24 +0800
To: cypherpunks@www.video-collage.com
Subject: kiwi not home (was: getting premail)

Igor Chudov wrote:

> > Bill Stewart wrote:
> >
> > At 11:11 PM 11/13/1997 -0600, Igor Chudov @ home wrote:
> > >Anyone know of a WORKING site where I can download premail from?
> > >kiwi...berkeley is refusing connections.
> >
> > http://atropos.c2.net/~raph/premail.html
> >
> > Also look at www.publius.net
>
> Nope, all of these sites refer me to kiwi, which is refusing > connections.

kiwi is NOT refusing connections.  It is just not there.  There's
a difference.

The host:

	http://kiwi.cs.berkeley.edu/

does not respond to connection requests to port 80, nor 8080, nor 8001.

Ping yields "Host lookup failed - Non-authoritative host not found."

The browser indicates it is trying to contact, which can mean anything
up to and including that it is awaiting a cascading name lookup, but
has not yet opened a TCP connection to the target. I'm guessing kiwi
is Raph's computer in Computer Science and that maybe it is hosed.
Maybe Raph has been hosed...

    "(WHAP!) Tell us the name of your leader! (WHAP!) Talk! (WHAP!)"

Maybe Raph will turn up one of these days writing plaintive
notes of contrition. Maybe... oh, never mind.

Oddly, while Raph has a home page at www.cs.berkeley.edu and
at atropos.c2.net/, all the critical roads seem to lead to kiwi,
including the mixmaster list. Search engines show precious few references to critical remailer files except in the links that
point to the dead host. Is it really this easy to make the whole
remailer network go stale -- like cutting off jet fighter spare
parts to suddenly unfriendly nation-states?

Wouldn't it be prudent to mirror the remailer lists, keys and
stats at a few dozen places scattered around the world? Would
it take more than a few percent of the effort and time that have
recently been pissed down a hole writing and reading the flames
that have consumed the list of late? Hmmmm?

Thread