1997-11-03 - Re: PGPsdk is out, but not for free (fwd)

Header Data

From: “Brian B. Riley” <brianbr@together.net>
To: “Jim Choate” <cypherpunks@ssz.com>
Message Hash: b9632b7aed159059731d0b50bb7699d15d23d24e400e9ce736d63f4d88e39c33
Message ID: <199711032113.QAA16739@mx02.together.net>
Raw Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 05:29:17 +0800

Raw message

From: "Brian B. Riley" <brianbr@together.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 05:29:17 +0800
To: "Jim Choate" <cypherpunks@ssz.com>
Subject: Re: PGPsdk is out, but not for free (fwd)

On 11/1/97 5:02 PM, Jim Choate (ravage@ssz.com)  passed this wisdom:

>Hmmm, will have to rethink suggesting any PGP based products to my customers
>now. I simply refuse to pay anybody any percentage of my product revenues
>simply because I use their tool. I buy a SDK for a flat fee like I buy a
>book, screwdriver, or a car. I can't imagine Black & Decker wanting a
>percentage of the house sale simply because the carpenter used their hammers
>and saws. Ford or Chevy wanting to see my income statement each year so they
>can figure out how much I owe them because I drive their brand of vehicle to
>my customers sites...yeah right.

 Have you ever priced earth moving equipment ... the price on them is
easily 150-300% of what it should be, say comparing it to 'consumer'
items, like cars and small pickups and extrapolating up for the backhoe
or whatever ... everyone I talk to in the contracting business says the
same thing,  "... its an item you are going to use to make money and they
are taking a cut of your profits up front"

Brian B. Riley --> http://www.macconnect.com/~brianbr
  For PGP Keys  <mailto:brianbr@together.net?subject=Get%20PGP%20Key>

 	"The Box said Win '95 or better - So I used a Macintosh!"
 			 -- Harold Herbert Tessman

Thread