1997-11-01 - Re: Protocols for Insurance to Maintain Privacy

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: c5228748339444fbbad71994e86fde23481790e17126e14b4483c7ab19d75d45
Message ID: <v03102807b08075502b6d@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <2d9fdee2822cc80bd98da311efbf2459@squirrel>
UTC Datetime: 1997-11-01 09:58:03 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 17:58:03 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 17:58:03 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Protocols for Insurance to Maintain Privacy

At 10:48 PM -0700 10/31/97, Secret Squirrel wrote:

>Tim May wrote:

>>Read "The Millionaire Next Door" for tips on what millionaires (who
>>are of course the "barely non-poor" these days) are likely to be
>>wearing and flaunting. Turns out that most Yuppies driving BMWs and
>>wearning Rolexes are doing so on _credit_. Driving a Mercedes or BMW
>>has nothing to do with actual ability to pay bills.
>
>Perception, not reality, is what is important here.  A wealthy
>appearing person will generally fare better.
>
>It's true, however, that you are probably better off with proof of
>insurance than an expensive watch when being wheeled into the
>emergency room.  (Except for your privacy, that is.)

Those deciding on admittance don't look for Rolexes (besides, fake Rolexes
sell for about $29 at any flea market).

What an insurance card is really a *line of credit*. Or a *proof of
payment*. The admitting hospital knows they'll at least be reimbursed for
the initial visit and emergency treatment.

By contrast, those lacking such a card may use all sorts of claims to avoid
payment fo the bill.

I certainly agree that there ought to be better ways to tell a hospital:

"Look, I can and will pay for treatment if you admit me to your emergency
room."

Even better,

"And I'd like to pay the "preferred rate," not the 3-4x inflated price you
publish as your "list price.""

However, at this time it looks like a Blue Cross or Blue Shield or
equivalent card is the only recognized way to meet these goals.

Perhaps there's a business idea for some enterprising Cypherpunk. A prepaid
hospital card, good for a few days' worth of treatment (e.g., $5000), but
only at the better rates. This could even be done with Chaumian
privacy-protecting methods. There's an idea.

--Tim May