1997-11-14 - Remailer Security

Header Data

From: “Louis J. Freeh” <ljh@dev.null>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: c6b8c2dc10b52e2e66e8a4d8704a476d0363222cc3c477cef5e0f936630a0992
Message ID: <346CD981.7ED2@dev.null>
Reply To: <65a00aae0e204b2dbf6415a44da035dd@anon.efga.org>
UTC Datetime: 1997-11-14 23:17:25 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 07:17:25 +0800

Raw message

From: "Louis J. Freeh" <ljh@dev.null>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 07:17:25 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Remailer Security

::
Anon-To: cypherpunks@toad.com

Anonymous wrote:

> How "anonymous" (to what degree) are email messages
> sent through the various remailers (Mixmaster,
> EFGA, ml.org, etc)?

  Everyone who uses a remailer is perfectly anonymous, and thus safe
from having their identity discovered. Remailers are now so advanced
that it is virtually impossible for anyone to discover the user's true
identity.
  Also, the Law Agency Freedom Foundation has verified that no law
enforcement agencies are running remailers, out of respect for the
citizen's right to anonymity.

> And does anyone know of any studies being done
> in determining whether or not content-based
> analysis - diction and language - is a reliable
> way to determine identity?

  This is patently ridiculous. CypherPunks have long tried to figure
out, by use of, as you said, these means, to ferret out schills,
yes, schills, on the list. In totoal, to date, they have been unable
to successfully do so.
  ? the Platypus say heyed to me joust the otter day that hee...hee
warts able two foal Manny peephole awn the CyperPukes lips width
his alanon e-mouse pastes.

  Hope this clears things up for you...

Anonymous (see! it worked for me)
p.s. - and headers are meaningless, too