1997-11-20 - Re: Fairy Gold

Header Data

From: Magus Mixmaster Anonymous Remailer Service <mix@magusnet.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: daaf80550c5cb88f00f705d4ab7935f0a6228aa65f3225aa04a1ca5520fb6685
Message ID: <7329b5c01fd0e2f938d13c3088a03f9e@magusnet.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 11:42:08 +0800

Raw message

From: Magus Mixmaster Anonymous Remailer Service <mix@magusnet.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 11:42:08 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Fairy Gold

Monty Cantsin wrote:
>Anonymous <anon@anon.efga.org> wrote:
>>Persistent identities suck.  Ideas stand or fall on their own.
>>Reputation capital is fairy gold, evaporating with the morning dew.

If this were really true, you would have posted your message under your real
name (a.k.a., your persistent identity).  The fact that you chose to make
your statement anonymously only proves the inverse of what you say.

>I do not believe this to be true.  Of course, concepts are valid
>regardless of their source.  It would be unwise to take the statements
>even of established identities on faith.
>
>The advantage of persistent identity is that it allows the exploration
>of more complicated ideas.  Use of the persistent identity places a
>particular post in a greater context.
>
>There is only so much that can be done in a single post.  It is the
>mailing list equivalent of a sound bite.

We should remember that -- at least here in America and the rest of the
so-called first world -- we live in the age of the sound bite where the
"medium is the message."  Public opinion is manipulated by the puppetmasters
who pull the emotional strings of John and Jane Q. Public sitting in front
of the TV each night.  Witness how anyone who has watched a video on Waco is
quickly being lumped into the category of an anti-government extremist
(Terry Nichols had two copies of "Waco Under Siege" in his house).  The
underlying message is, "don't consider any of the facts that the video
viewer presents to you, just realize he/she is an extremist."

Frankly, I wasn't there at Waco so I don't know what happened.  However, as
Monty pointed out in another post, the fact that the FBI/BATF/etc.
administered the gas into the Davidian home (notice how I fail to use the
media-sanctioned term "compound") is clearly an aggressive act on the part of
the U.S. gov't.  Regardless of what the spinmeisters say (both on the left
and the right) no human being with a conscience can take note of this fact
and say that the feds were justified in their actions.  Gassing children?
Come on.

A single sound bite on its own will do nothing, but a persistent group of
sound bites presented over time with a recurring message can create a great
amount of influence.  This is how public opinion is formed through mass
media channels.

But think about this: who is the author of these mass media sound bites?
Can you name the person?

It's easy to say that it's the feds, the ZOG, the NWO crew...but you can't
name an individual can you?  Why is that?

Seriously, think about this question.  It has a lot to do with a major
cypherpunk theme: anonymity.  But in this case, with hardly any conscious
responsibility.

Nerthus

P.S. Notice how my response becomes "negated" by Monty's previous response
when you read the first 6 lines of text in order:

"
>>Persistent identities suck.  Ideas stand or fall on their own.
>>Reputation capital is fairy gold, evaporating with the morning dew.

If that were really true, you would have posted your message under your real
name (a.k.a., your persistent identity).  The fact that you chose to make
your statement anonymously only proves the inverse of what you say.

>I do not believe this to be true.
"

Think how easily Monty's "response" could be used against me if the quoted
text marks (>) were removed.  Truths are easily twisted into lies by those
who seek advantage from such actions.

Thread