1997-11-18 - Re: PGPsdk is now free for non-commercial use

Header Data

From: stewarts@ix.netcom.com
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: df9482738a31fc85ebf0299694faf5b86ab66cd4b1900cccaadb8323e8186b05
Message ID: <3.0.3.32.19971118100847.006d70e8@popd.ix.netcom.com>
Reply To: <abb1add8bd15a907a1704e6641aa7854@anon.efga.org>
UTC Datetime: 1997-11-18 22:26:34 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 06:26:34 +0800

Raw message

From: stewarts@ix.netcom.com
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 06:26:34 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: PGPsdk is now free for non-commercial use

At 06:44 AM 11/18/1997 -0500, Anonymous wrote:
>Bill Stewart writes:
[...]
>>         For example, a commercial purpose includes the use of the
>>         application within a commercial business or facility or
>>         the use of the product to provide a service, or in support
>>         of service, for which you charge.
>>         Commercial purpose also includes use by any government agency
>>         or organization.
>> First of all, it sounds like it can only be used by students at
>> non-government-run universities, but not at Berkeley, and if
>> Random MIT Student develops PGPwidget using the toolkit,
>> students at U.C.Berkeley can't use it for academic use either,
>> except perhaps on their PCs at home (if they live off-campus.)
>> (Do any of the UK universities count as non-government-run?)
>
>You consider use by students at U.C.Berkeley to be use by a "government
>agency or organization".  I don't think that is what is meant.  They mean
>something like the NSA, or Congress, or the military.

That may not be what they _intended_, but it's what they said..
They're very explicit that using "within a commercial business or facility"
is commercial, and they're including government agencies and organizations.
That means if you're using it in a government-owned building,
it's commercial from their license's standpoint.

>> But "within a commercial business or facility" is far more
>> restrictive.
>
>"Within" is probably meant in the organizational sense, not in terms of
>physical inclusion.  The fundamental point is whether revenue generation

If they hadn't explicitly said "facility", that might be a reasonable
interpretation, but they've provided carefully crafted language
that's pinning down a very broad definition of commercial.

>You can't use it to do your work.  Your company should buy a copy in
>that case.  Reading your work email counts as part of doing your work.

If they want to go that direction, well, it's their code (mostly.)
But it's a much different direction from the previous policies.
				Thanks!
					Bill
Bill Stewart, stewarts@ix.netcom.com
Regular Key PGP Fingerprint D454 E202 CBC8 40BF  3C85 B884 0ABE 4639

Thread