1997-11-04 - RE: S/MIME

Header Data

From: Ian Clysdale <iancly@entrust.com>
To: “‘William H. Geiger III’” <whgiii@invweb.net>
Message Hash: e77c682caaba4a72dc73ebe498d8466aaaff03e9b7995ab7c3328c9f4ce96777
Message ID: <c=CA%a=%p=NorTel_Secure_Ne%l=APOLLO-971104154014Z-34701@mail.entrust.com>
Reply To: _N/A

UTC Datetime: 1997-11-04 16:02:04 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 00:02:04 +0800

Raw message

From: Ian Clysdale <iancly@entrust.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 00:02:04 +0800
To: "'William H. Geiger III'" <whgiii@invweb.net>
Subject: RE: S/MIME

This is not true.

If you read the S/MIME specs it says one MUST implement the RC2/40
algorithm. A MUST in an RFC has a very definate purpose: If an
aplication
does not implement all MUST sections of the RFC then it is not
compliant!
To create an S/MIME compliant application one MUST implement RC2/40
and
one MUST pay RSA to do so!!

   Umm....  If you read what I wrote, you will see that I said "S/MIME
DOES implement 40 bit RC2, but it ALSO implements XXXXXXXX.
 Personally, I'd rather see even weak crypto getting world-wide
deployment than seeing no crypto getting out because of stupid
draconian export laws.  However much you may dislike their "weak
crypto", Netscape and Microsoft are getting more seats of
crypto-compliant software out there than PGP ever has.  And once the
infrastructure is out there where everyone can use weak crypto, people
will (hopefully) realize that it is insecure, and shift to stronger
algorithms that ARE supported currently in domestic US/Canada
versions, and which I'm sure someone outside of the States will have
coming out in the near future, if they're not already there.

Netscape, Microsoft, and RSA are letting thier greed get in the way
of
developing a message encryption protocol that provides strong crypto
ALL users.

   Either that, or Netscape, Microsoft, and RSA are being practical
and doing something that will legally put SOME cryptography in the
hands of everyone today.  It's all in how you look at it.

							ian

Thread