1997-11-09 - Re: WARNING: Serious Pentium Bug

Header Data

From: Anonymous <anon@anon.efga.org>
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: e9069eb455748a6cd90d84bc2b47ed511e7f64786a5484ec2689a315eaf9bdf2
Message ID: <a234f0adb3ba47b745bd58db33237e21@anon.efga.org>
Raw Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 06:38:54 +0800

Raw message

From: Anonymous <anon@anon.efga.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 06:38:54 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Re: WARNING: Serious Pentium Bug

"William H. Geiger III" <whgiii@invweb.net> wrote:

>For the same reason Intel does nothing about any of thier bugs: they are
>assholes. The only way any of these type of things are ever addressed is
>by enough users putting pressure on Intel to fix their fuckups. (Really
>slopy not testing the microcode)

Yeah. A conspiracy theorist might be prompted to theorize that Intel
deliberately placed this in their processor, took a chance that nobody else
would find it and publically release it, and then leaked the information
themselves. If they refuse to replace the P5s many people will upgrade to a
PPro or a P5. Of course Cyrix and AMD throw a wrench into this theory, but
I doubt there are a whole lot of people who won't be buying any more Intel
products due to this, and some of the clones have or did have big problems
such as annoyingly slow FPUs.

If they don't make it extraordinarily easy for me to replace my processor
I'll probably be one of the people who falls into the latter catagory and
goes off to Cyrixland.

Thread