1997-11-15 - Re: Br’er Tim and the Bug Hole

Header Data

From: Steve Schear <schear@lvdi.net>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: f525da0d1ff269038f36147a70719df2d4e3847577d81ce30f9b382bc7372e29
Message ID: <v03102810b092543a2372@[208.129.55.202]>
Reply To: <1f6c13f75e895afd9ec8f5d61ed19ff9@squirrel>
UTC Datetime: 1997-11-15 05:37:46 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 13:37:46 +0800

Raw message

From: Steve Schear <schear@lvdi.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 13:37:46 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Br'er Tim and the Bug Hole

>Injustice happens everyday.  The next time you find yourself at Burger
>King stuffing yourself with greasy slop, think of the millions of people
>in Africa who are slowly starving to death.  Injustice, yes, but what
>are you going to do about it?  Anything?
>
>The fact is you can't do anything, even if you wanted to.  And because
>of that we all become reactionary, angered, resentful, violent.  We
>perpetuate the disintegration of mankind, of ourselves.
>
>No people in their right mind should bow down and lick the boots of their
>oppressors.  But neither should they kill them either.  The intelligent
>action is to show the oppressors the errors in their ways.  Every human
>being, even our "enemies" have a mind that is not completely devoid of
>reason.  The sooner we show them a better way of living, the sooner we can
>move toward it.  Then the possibility for an end to the injustices that
>surround us becomes more available.

Many injustices follow from form and scale of government.  I won't be the first to point out that as the number of people, geography and ethnic diversity increase governance becomes ever more difficult and as is the balancing of individual liberty over the "overiding interests of the society."  The solution is clear, the method of its emergence is not.  Smaller geo-political units.  I doubt that our pressing social and political problems can be adequately delt with until the scale of governance is changed, but this requires those in the center to give up much and historically this has rarely if ever happened without bloodshed.

--Steve

Thread