1997-12-08 - Re: Cato forum tomorrow: should money laundering be a crime?

Header Data

From: Steve Schear <schear@lvdi.net>
To: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: 02a15d96646a4e2efe654f972918155e32eb4b03725dbe147d95ad99cb6adb1c
Message ID: <v03102802b0b1d4268cd8@[208.129.55.202]>
Reply To: <v03102800b0b11c3254d4@[208.129.55.202]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-12-08 17:30:49 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 9 Dec 1997 01:30:49 +0800

Raw message

From: Steve Schear <schear@lvdi.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 1997 01:30:49 +0800
To: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: Cato forum tomorrow: should money laundering be a crime?

>(Why is this discussion limited to just the four of us? Surely Declan and
>his Cato buddies are worthy to hear our arguments? I dislike the "taking
>things private" mindset, when the lists are already so cluttered with Toto
>rants and other consumers of vast amounts of bandwidth.)

If my header lines implied this, it was inadvertent.  I agree more 'relevent' content on CP is desireable.

>I haven't quite said that all forms of communication/spending money will be
>speech and therefore protected. (Besides, we all know of many forms of
>speech that are unprotected.)
>
>What I (and Michael Froomkin, in his own CFP talk) have argued is that
>digital money will be _undetectable_ in many cases unless government
>demands that the contents of a private communication be revealed. A kind of
>prior restraint on speech.

[snip]

>If the government determines, somehow, that Alice was
>involved in an illegal transaction, tax evasion, money laundering, etc.,
>they can try to get her on that. But they can't insist that words be
>submitted to a government agent for approval."

Isn't uttering a check protected speech?  What about if a check is stego-coded in some political rant?  Can the Feds insist I not utter that speech?

--Steve

PGP mail preferred, see  	http://www.pgp.com and
				http://web.mit.edu/network/pgp.html

RSA fingerprint: FE90 1A95 9DEA 8D61  812E CCA9 A44A FBA9
RSA key: http://keys.pgp.com:11371/pks/lookup?op=index&search=0x55C78B0D
Steve Schear              | tel: (702) 658-2654
CEO                       | fax: (702) 658-2673
First ECache Corporation  |
7075 West Gowan Road      |
Suite 2148                |
Las Vegas, NV 89129       | Internet: schear@lvdi.net

	I know not what course others may take; but as for me,
	give me ECache or give me debt!

	"It's your Cache"

Thread