1997-12-07 - Re: A Medal – Or A Prison Cell?

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: “Brian B. Riley” <cypherpunks@Algebra.COM>
Message Hash: 05ea2f4d29f74471e35a8d1c70642b7efb4ef86f78b36c0569b4019d9dfa6dab
Message ID: <v03102806b0af9068dd49@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <199712062000.PAA21076@mx01.together.net>
UTC Datetime: 1997-12-07 00:47:32 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 7 Dec 1997 08:47:32 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 1997 08:47:32 +0800
To: "Brian B. Riley" <cypherpunks@Algebra.COM>
Subject: Re: A Medal -- Or A Prison Cell?

At 1:00 PM -0700 12/6/97, Brian B. Riley wrote:

>   Larry Gates, a 54-year-old ex-Marine, operates a convenience store in
>   rural Iconium, Missouri. He's also a volunteer fireman. Last Christmas
>   Eve he was listening to a licensed fire department radio when he heard
>   a report that police were chasing two suspected murderers. Police had
>   lost track of the suspects. From his knowledge of the area, Gates was
>   aware that the car would pass directly in front of his store.

"Suspected murderers," not "convicted murderers." And the cops could have
been chasing any number of persons.

(I'm not intending to sound like a simp-wimp apologist for criminals, but
the language of this article, including "suspected murderers," "suddenly
accelerated," "abusing drugs for days," "confessed to two homicides," and
"planned to commit suicide" all smack of sensationalism.

And did the Gates family know any of this stuff about "abusing drugs" and
"planned to commit suicide"? Of course not.

So, what if the folks in the car were tax protestors, whom the police radio
misidentified as suspected murderers? Or other kinds of suspects? What if
the passenger was a hostage? What if she had been killed by the shotgun
blast?

(The shooter presumably aimed to kill, after all. As we all know, shotgun
pellets don't disable engines very well.)

Just as we don't want cops shooting at "fleeing cars"--unless trained
personnel have concluded that a threat exists or that no other means of
stopping the car is feasible, so, too, we don't want suburban cowboys
deciding to shoot at cars that are no immediate danger to them.

(The "Instead, the car suddenly accelerated directly at Carey" sounds fishy
to me, as few drivers would ram a car if they could see a way around the
roadblock, which the driver apparently did.)

I have no problem with anyone defending themselves or their family, or even
their direct neighbors, with heavy firepower. But I don't want "volunteers"
shooting at me, for example, if the local Gestapo happens to be chasing me.

>From what I've read here, the prosecution is warranted.

--Tim May